Discuss Freezer On Rcbo Etc in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening, my first post with diagrams knocked up in AutoCAD - hopefully, fingers crossed it doesn't all go horribly wrong! OK, my own kitchen, planning to re-route the ring so all sockets central about the new cupboards etc. The problem: I like the idea of having the freezer on its own RCBO. I'm particular about the cable runs all being vertical or horizontal from the sockets etc as is proper. First diagram, run the fridge and freezer off the ring from a double socket behind the 400 wide cabinet with an access hole cut in the back. Option 2, use a dual box and put in two single gang sockets, one fed from the ring and the other from the radial. Anyone see any issues with this. Two concerns - mixing circuits in the one box and secondly if some idiot doesn't check later on and drills/nails thru the radial as it won't be obvious from above the worktop. Any thoughts? Thanks.

View attachment 8764View attachment 8775View attachment 8776View attachment 8775View attachment 8776View attachment 8765

Attachments

• ring+radial.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 37
  • ring.pdf
    5.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
not clear from your pics. i would have the sockets all on a ring final except for the fridge and freezer, which i would put on a separate radial RCBO.

not clear from your pics. i would have the sockets all on a ring final except for the fridge and freezer, which i would put on a separate radial RCBO.

Sorry about that, have tried re-sizing them! You reckon the fridge and freezer on the SAME RCBO then? Forgot to add btw the FCU is for under cupboard lights. Cheers.

if the fridge and freezer were a combination unit, the'd be on the same plug. yep. 2.5mm raDIAL WITH A 16a /30Ma RCBO should do it. maybe add an accessible socket to this to be used if the RFC curcuit went down at any time.

Last edited:
Mixing circuits in the one box... not an issue really, as it's a dual box.
Also, if the sockets are not on plain view, there's no harm in labelling them up with circuit ID as you would commonly do in an industrial/commercial scenario.
Let's face it, do we worry about two circuits in the one box for the hall and stairs light switches?

Safe zone for the radial? Keep within the 150mm band, maybe use a 35mm instead of 25mm back box for the double socket above and pass the cable for the radial through it without causing a problem for the socket terminations.

Edit: It's down to your preference if you put both fridge and freezer on the same radial, or use separate circuits for each.
Personally, I think one circuit is good enough for the pair - the way I look at it, is you're doing this to protect your fridge and freezer against a fault in another part of the installation causing a loss of power to them.

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator:
But then it must also be surface or conduit or earthed metallic screen, etc.... either ugly or more expensive than RCBO most of the time.

Simon.

IMO i would not bother putting them on there own, at least if its on the ring you would know the circuit has gone off. In a lot of rcd faults i've been to in the last couple of months its been the freezer that went faulty and tripped it off. I can see your reasons for putting them on there own but Just seems a lot of effort for very little gain.

If you have a dedicated circuit for the freezer on an RCBO and it tripped for some reason, would you notice that your freezer no longer had power? Maybe it's better to have it on the same circuit as other loads. It may trip due to a fault on another appliance, but at least you're likely to notice and do something about it before it warms up enough to spoil the contents.

you can label the socket and leave note at cu saying fridge freezer circuit and not put on rcd /rcbo, but for piece of mind do it on rcbo or tap off ring.... which will be rcd potected...

ps deticated circuit

Depends where the dis board is here n all.....if in the kitchen and the radial for the fridge/freezer can be surface run (on the floor behind units) from the board to the point....then no RCD ..just a label with fridge/freezer only on it....jobs a good un......

aye seems bar far best option but most do just run off dual rcd board and its squeezed in there somewhere... but every install has differnt circumstancess and all

its just the "holiday syndrome" though innit....you go to some hot sweaty place for a week (or 2) then get back to find a hot sweaty place in the kitchen (fridge freezer) that probably smells a bit like the place you stayed at for your jollies...lol........

doesnt matter if its surface mounted or in wall at any depth just label up and good to go.... cant find reg so could be way off the mark, sorry if am
Depends where the dis board is here n all.....if in the kitchen and the radial for the fridge/freezer can be surface run (on the floor behind units) from the board to the point....then no RCD ..just a label with fridge/freezer only on it....jobs a good un......

Reply to Freezer On Rcbo Etc in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net