Discuss freezers in garages true or false in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

multimick

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
just looking to buy freezer for garage (brick built ) and finding that some freezers apparantely are not suitable for outbuildings and need a minimum temp to function? sales talk or fact ?

The point about single-compressor fridge-freezers in the Telegraph article is spot on and I had exactly this situation on my boat. The cabin temperature falls rapidly when unattended, and if it fell to 5° or below the compressor would never run and the freezer compartment would defrost. It's a very efficient marine unit that pumps a lot of heat with very little juice, and hacking the control box to make it run the compressor every so often regardless of temperature, froze the fridge contents within hours.

I mentioned this to my dad and he and I came up with exactly the same solution within seconds: Put a small heater (actually a power resistor) in the fridge, mounted and wired within the lamp housing. This provides enough heat that the compressor must run periodically to remove the accumulated heat, maintaining a steady regulated temp in the fridge and keeping the frozen stuff frozen at the same time.

The old gas fridge (absorption, silent but energy-inefficient) used a heater to heat the hot bits, to make the cold bits get cold. The modern electric one uses a cooler, but you have to heat the cold bits to make them get colder!

Yep, may need to add a low wattage greenhouse type heater to maintain temp for continued ability to maintain temperature in fridge/freezer. Suggest get a good thermostat for inside appliance to check temperature is being achieved as this could effect storage times.

Would a twin compressor be a better option, or just fit the car with a remote start and auto locking garage door for when the MIL get to get her meat........... to heat the freezer up that is.

I've an old freezer in the shed and it seems fine out there. It is very simple old one, so it probably just doesn't run much in winter.

We had an ancient chest freezer in a cold barn which worked fine for years, also a more modern Bosch Freezer, which had some of its insulation eaten by rats, and hasn't worked as well since!

......Put a small heater (actually a power resistor) in the fridge, mounted and wired within the lamp housing. This provides enough heat that the compressor must run periodically to remove the accumulated heat,......
If the compressor ever fails to run there's a good chance even a small heat source inside the fridge can entirely melt the inner plastic liner.

It's really small - less heat than the filament lamp - and controlled by the thermostat so that it goes off when there is demand for the compressor.

Reply to freezers in garages true or false in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net