Discuss Frequency of inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm about to replace the consumer unit in an existing domestic installation.

Can anyone point me to the correct rules in the 17th edition which advise on how regularly the installation should be inspected. I have to write it into the Installation Certificate and can't find the answer in either the 17th or the OSG. Mind you, I've been searching for about 30 minutes and the pages are just blurring now :-(

IMHO only you can state when the next inspection is due and that would be because you've just tested the installation and your test readings will give you an indication of the state of the installation.

That said, anything between 1 and 10 years would be the way to go.

the frequency if inspection is at your discretion. generally, for domestics, it's 10 years, unless you feel, from the condition of the installation, that it should be more frequent.

To be honest, the installation looks a bit ropey; it looks as though the lighting has been rewired separately from the rings, but both are in red/black. I tested the insulation on the power circuits while I was looking at the job and the readings were fine. There's no main bonding though - despite the heating having been changed from storage to gas central at some point.

Even if everything tests out OK - and having a new split board - I'd probably say test again in three years?? Does that sound reasonable?

if you are doing an installation certificate, that means work done means YOU MUST INSTALL BONDING.

Duncan,you need to read and become aware of 132.16 before doing any additions and alterations
Note that its a Green book number I quoted :coolgleamA:

Des you're 100% correct but...

Try telling that to 25% of homeowners, builders, plumbers, pub sparkies, DIY enthusiasts, etc, etc....

Tin hat on.

IF the ESC want to regain ANY credibility THEY and the scam providers need to raise the awareness across the country.

Tin hat on!

Lol. Detect a bit of anxiety there lads! Bonding is in with the price of the job - along with a couple of other items.

Don't worry, I am SJIB qualified and just recently had my grade card renewed. Just a bit rusty after 15 years out of the trade.

Lol. Detect a bit of anxiety there lads! Bonding is in with the price of the job - along with a couple of other items.

Don't worry, I am SJIB qualified and just recently had my grade card renewed. Just a bit rusty after 15 years out of the trade.

Fair enough, who are you registered with?

Duncan,you need to read and become aware of 132.16 before doing any additions and alterations

Note that its a Green book number I quoted :coolgleamA:
I should really have a good read of the BGB...

GN3 will give you the best guidance, but as the others have said, it's your professional opinion.
The state of the installation, IR readings, even the type of people living in the property may make you think "Hmm, I think this needs checking again in a few years."

Reply to Frequency of inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net