Discuss Friendly advice after some quotes... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Beefy

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so go easy whilst i adjust to your ways :) If this post is in the wrong section, do let me know!

I need some advice.

I've recently bought a doer-upper in need of some general DIY and as a first point of call i've got to get the consumer board replaced. The property was built in 1956 and was extended 30 years ago, i dont think the board is original but it's certainly very old.

I'd originally written out a fairly long list of additional works that i'd like to have done on the property but am at a loss as to whether i should be looking at a rewire or not after speaking to a few electricians with varying success.

I've had quotes from £700-3000 just for the work i'd like done and guys saying i don't need any rewiring to guys saying i need a full rewire. I'm really looking for a good, solid unbiased opinion as to whether to partially or fully rewire the property or whether to simply just have the additional electrical work done. (switches/sockets/lights fitted etc)

From a basic visual inspection (Which i know is far from conclusive) i can tell all the cable used for lighting and power sockets is of upvc type so nothing too crusty. There's an interesting video on youtube of a guy who lists of the many types of cable that have been used from the 1920's to present day and mine dosn't seem to be too shabby, no rubber, horse hair or material sheathing etc!

What do you guys advise? I know i can always have a rewire, but i'd rather save the money if possible. I can grab pics of anything if it helps for what it's worth?

You would benefit from paying an electrician to conduct an EICR (electrical installation condition report), and then you would know what is up to standard and what isn't. No one on here can tell you what you need doing or not without testing the circuits, and I'm suprised none of the electricans who have given you such a varied range of quotes haven't suggested you pay for an EICR.

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so go easy whilst i adjust to your ways :) If this post is in the wrong section, do let me know!

I need some advice.

I've recently bought a doer-upper in need of some general DIY and as a first point of call i've got to get the consumer board replaced. The property was built in 1956 and was extended 30 years ago, i dont think the board is original but it's certainly very old.

I'd originally written out a fairly long list of additional works that i'd like to have done on the property but am at a loss as to whether i should be looking at a rewire or not after speaking to a few electricians with varying success.

I've had quotes from £700-3000 just for the work i'd like done and guys saying i don't need any rewiring to guys saying i need a full rewire. I'm really looking for a good, solid unbiased opinion as to whether to partially or fully rewire the property or whether to simply just have the additional electrical work done. (switches/sockets/lights fitted etc)

From a basic visual inspection (Which i know is far from conclusive) i can tell all the cable used for lighting and power sockets is of upvc type so nothing too crusty. There's an interesting video on youtube of a guy who lists of the many types of cable that have been used from the 1920's to present day and mine dosn't seem to be too shabby, no rubber, horse hair or material sheathing etc!

What do you guys advise? I know i can always have a rewire, but i'd rather save the money if possible. I can grab pics of anything if it helps for what it's worth?
You need to get an eicr by an electrician, that will tell you if your installation is safe or if it's unsafe. Your query as to whether it needs rewiring may be answered with the eicr

A lot depends on the scope of your planned alterations. There isn't much mileage in paying out for an EICR if your alterations are going to mean that it will all get torn out anyway simply because it's in the wrong place!
If the place has got 1 single socket per bedroom, and you want 4 doubles in each, you want pendants replacing with multiple downlights throughout, then you may as well start again and re wire.
If on the other hand the install generally meets your needs and plans for the place, and you just want a new board, plus the odd addition or alteration, then it's worth the fee for the EICR.

Thanks guys, so some of the sparkys have said i should go for an EICR which i totally agree with. Some have said they i should just go ahead with the consumer unit replacement as part of the work involved would be to do an EICR at the end anyway and they dont see any point in charging me twice for an EICR -> consumer unit replacement -> EICR.

My concern over that would be blindly replacing the consumer unit and potentially ending up in a worst position with a twitchy sensitive consumer unit and having my hand twisted for the remediation work with no further negotiation opportunity.

Would an EICR give me an idea of the amount of safe load i could put on the circuits? Or just pull up wiring faults and inconsistencies?

Thanks guys, so some of the sparkys have said i should go for an EICR which i totally agree with. Some have said they i should just go ahead with the consumer unit replacement as part of the work involved would be to do an EICR at the end anyway and they dont see any point in charging me twice for an EICR -> consumer unit replacement -> EICR.

My concern over that would be blindly replacing the consumer unit and potentially ending up in a worst position with a twitchy sensitive consumer unit and having my hand twisted for the remediation work with no further negotiation opportunity.

Would an EICR give me an idea of the amount of safe load i could put on the circuits? Or just pull up wiring faults and inconsistencies?

If you totally agree with having an EICR conducted then you should arrange for it to be done.

I do agree with the need for an EICR.

But is it normal practice when asked to perform an EICR that an electrician may say that it's not worth doing an EICR before the consumer unit is replaced as he will need to do one after the consumer unit work anyway? The whole point of me wanting to do one one would be to advise me of the state of the electrical system and whether any issues are likely to be present if the consumer unit is replaced with a newer more sensitive unit on the original wiring.

If you're about to embark on a major refurbishment of the house then it's best to have it rewired and get it out of the way. If you're planning on living in this house then you'll be coming across all sorts of issues and inconvenience such as inadequate number of sockets, etc. After refurbishment its a real pain in the arse getting any sort of electrical work done.

EICR before a board change, ideally a couple of days before to fully identify any issues with the installation and also to confirm the number and type of circuits.

No point doing a board change then carrying out inspection and testing only to find out half the wiring needs replacing.

An EICR will allow you to make an informed decision as to what to do next, a partial rewire is feasible if required.

thanks for the reply - I've got a 5yr view on the property before moving on, the property needs a new bathroom a knock through and decorating. I seem to have ample plug sockets, so it really would just be replacement of the original wiring and a new consumer unit with no other real benefits than piece of mind. The additional work i originally intended on having done was additional work such as (PIR porch lights, light recentered in 3 rooms, spotlights in bathroom, loft light replacements for LED, NEST install, plug sockets in garage replaced etc.)

Would an EICR give me an idea on what sort of load i could put on the original wiring? I'm an IT guy so i do like things with plugs :)

I do agree with the need for an EICR.

But is it normal practice when asked to perform an EICR that an electrician may say that it's not worth doing an EICR before the consumer unit is replaced as he will need to do one after the consumer unit work anyway? The whole point of me wanting to do one one would be to advise me of the state of the electrical system and whether any issues are likely to be present if the consumer unit is replaced with a newer more sensitive unit on the original wiring.

No,it is not.
No point in fitting a new organ...if nobody bothered to take blood pressure and pulse...

I was at a property,a month ago,where this is exactly what the super-spark advised...

Fitted a nice new DB,and then found the issues,a thorough EICR,would have discovered...and boy,were there some...

So many,in fact,he left the entire socket circuits and upstairs lights,on one lonely breaker:eek: some very badly damaged and exposed wiring,in the loft,which several generations of squirrels had used as tooth floss,and,a 2" stub of SWA,sticking out of the outside wall,by the back door,at head height,still live:rolleyes: ...which looked to have been cropped,using some cheap,privet shears...

Thanks PEG. This is my concern. I kind of wanted the EICR to give me a report of my electrical system so i could assess any remediation work and then factor in the cost of the remediation work + the work i wanted to get done whether it was worth just doing a rewire. Can someone explain what the EICR tests exactly and what assurances it would give me?

Thanks PEG. This is my concern. I kind of wanted the EICR to give me a report of my electrical system so i could assess any remediation work and then factor in the cost of the remediation work + the work i wanted to get done whether it was worth just doing a rewire. Can someone explain what the EICR tests exactly and what assurances it would give me?

An EICR should be a 100% test of all circuits coupled with a thorough visual inspection of accessories and visible wiring systems. The results gained from testing should give a good overview of the condition of the existing circuits and any safety concerns should be raised.
You can then ask for lists of improvements. It is basically an in depth check for safety issues.

Yes an inspection on a dated system is very likely to result in an unsatisfactory result for various reasons, many of which can be improved by installing an up to date consumer unit, but doing so without knowing the condition of the circuits is generally unwise in older installations.

Does every older installation end in a rewire in your experience? generally speaking at what era do you start to see the need for a rewire? 40's/50's/60's etc?

Installations over 30 years old would generally need a rewire. Your house probably had been rewired at some point since it was built. Really depends on how much use and abuse it has suffered. Best get it tested to see if there's any immediate safety issues that need dealing with.

An EICR would/should if done properly, will tell you the condition of the electrical installation in your property, just changing the CU will require some testing and an EIC.
Go for the EICR this will tell you what is OK and what isn't.

Installations over 30 years old would generally need a rewire.

I strongly disagree with this statement.Over 30 years would take you back to the 90's. So if it was wired in the mid 70's it would be unsafe?
The main things I look for before doing a rewire is:-

1:-Is it wired in plastic?
2:-Are there earths in the lighting circuits?
3:-Are the sockets in the skirtings?
4:-Does the house have RCD protection?
5:-Does the house have gas and water bonding?

Usually if the house was wired after the mid 60's then most of the above can be met bar the RCD protection.If everything else is correct then maybe just a consumer unit change but I would do an insulation resistance test on it first to find out if there's any faults and also if they have borrowed the neutral for the landing two way light.

Last edited:
You could also look out for alterations where a handy DIYer has added a socket or two. Wrong height, rough plaster work around the socket or mounted on a surface box rather than sitting flush.
Agree that an EICR should be done before a CU change, but a good electrician won’t charge you for a second one as a lot of the information will be identical. There will be some charge as part of the CU work.

If you are planning alterations then each of these may incur some rewiring anyway, so is it worth just having it all done, rather than some?

Cost is of course an issue, but if an initial EICR brings up a lot of faults, you’re going to have to pay to put them right anyway.

Hi - an inspection done properly can be very helpful to work out what is best to be done next. There are so many possibilities that it's guessing to say what will be needed at your place. My guess is some wiring will be ok and some will not, sorry. Due to age, its possible there's no earth to the light fittings (for example) which I'd like to resolve.

It used to be the case that cabling had a 25yr expected life span but modern cables in a nice kind domestic environment will last much longer now.

Reply to Friendly advice after some quotes... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock