Discuss from where do we gather information for SPD,s in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Amendment 1 of the 17th Edition requires electricians to conduct a risk assessment of properties to see if they require surge protection.
Who holds such information ? the DNO, oh yes the people that you cant get on the phone because you need to go through customer services and select option 105 to speak to an advisor who has been out of school about a year and rekons a SPD is a legal high and has no idea where the technical department is and puts you through to billing who wants to know if your the account holder and cant talk to you because your not.... sorry data protection mate, line goes dead.....................................................So you ask the 75 year old retired teacher when the last time her home was struck by lighting and looks at you as if your some sort of nutter from the place up the road with iron gates and guys with with direwolves on leashes patrolling the electric fence,

I know I am probably over stating this but if AFDD,s & SPD,s are to be included with each circuit the board will be the size of the Ark Royal,
a 10 way dual RCD will be a 30 usable way board with as much cabling as the aforementioned aircraft carrier :eek:

I know I am probably over stating this but if AFDD,s & SPD,s are to be included with each circuit the board will be the size of the Ark Royal,
a 10 way dual RCD will be a 30 usable way board with as much cabling as the aforementioned aircraft carrier :eek:
It’s only one spd needed placed at the origin from a designated circuit in the DB domesticly anyway
I’m sure more information will become available in the coming months on this.

there is a table in the on site guide that whilst simple is supposedly the go to resource. also meant to factor in regional weather variation. I have a hager spd in my apartment owing to the metal structure/roof for the penthouses on top floor. makes it high risk for lightning

You will need to do a RA to see if the devices are actually required in your particular situation, AFDs have so far been reduced to a 1 module device, best buy BS 7671 and see the rules for yourself and not jump to unfounded conclusions SDPs are required whenever the installation passes through the building fabric, for example SPD in the house, if it's required, supply to out building SPD required at outbuilding, or that's how I rad what the NICEIC and more importantly the IET say, the NICEIC are only going from what the 18th say. Oh and apparently AFDs wont work on a RFC.

NICEIC used an example of a 3K rewire and a cost of the job against the cost of the contents of the house (10K in Darren Stainforths house) so if the property contents are worth more than the job, then you fit one.
I think that’s the jist?
I don’t have an 18th edition yet.

If they bring out an all in one (single module) device then I'm all for it.
Don't honestly think SPDs will be integrated into a single unit with MCBs and RCBOs They are already working on AFDDs , MCBs and RCBOs combined into a single way on a CU, please don't ask me how cuz I couldn't tell you.

the one I have in my cu is 3 module, it has a type c mcb then 2 modules for the spd bit... expect they have integrated it into just 2 modules by now though.

Mostly my comments are tongue in cheek as most will realise, but, there are questions, but I think since the overvoltage however caused is an incoming fault not caused within the installation so it should be the job of the DNO to fit them downstream of the cut out thereby dealing with it before it enters the premises, but hey why should they when mugs like us will need to price it into job, then Dodgy and Son get the work. AFDD,s on the other hand is just another repetition of the metal consumer units BS

I was informed that the AFDD's used in I think Germany he said, are testing the use of single slot modules in distribution boards rather than what we seem to currently have in size over here; I've googled it but cannot seem to find one like :confused:

Reply to from where do we gather information for SPD,s in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock