Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Frost Stat Issue - System not working when connected in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

Following on from my thread Heinz 57 heating system thread..................

I have installed a Heatmiser UH8-RF control centre a RF switch and two neoair thermostats into an S plan system. Had a few issues with the UH8-RF firing the boiler but in the end wired the boiler n/c from the UH8-RF to the orange cable of the two port valve which also has the connection from the RF switch for the central heating .
    Everything works fine until I then connect the frost stat from the
    boiler which is a Buderus Camray 5, I am connecting a permanent live from the wiring centre to the frost stat and then the return from the frost stat to the orange cables from the two port valves. At this point nothing happens at all, the existing heating or UFH will not fire even though the frost stat is turned down. As soon as I disconnect the frost stat everything works again?
    Any ideas as to what I missing or doing wrong, I haven't got as far as the pipe stat as cannot get the system to work with just the frost stat!?

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. rolyberkin

I think my first post is wrong, the return feed from my frost stat goes to what is in effect number seven the power feed from the time switch! cannot understand why this stops everything from working.

4. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

You want the frost thermostat to open the zone valve so you want to connect it to the brown of the Valve and put the frost stat on the return wired in series.

5. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

6. rolyberkin

I have connected
    1 to permanent live
    2 to neutral
    3 to brown of valve
    I was of the view that if the frost stat activates this makes a circuit and kicks in the motorised valve & boiler, when I wire the frost stat up nothing works, nothing trips, nothing, if I then disconnect it everything works?

7. buzzlightyear

8. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

What frost stat you got?

• Like Like x 1
  9. rolyberkin

Honeywell.

IMG_3683.JPG

10. rolyberkin

I have, wiring it is not the issue, why it is not working is! In my mind I have altered nothing apart from adding a switch from permanent live which in effect bypasses the time clock and kicks in the pump and boiler if the boiler is about to freeze, however this stops the whole system from working?

11. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

Not sure what has happened there then. Check your connections again.
    It shouldn't be stopping anything as it is Normally Open and is connected across Line and HTG Valve Motor (brown).

12. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi Roly - I can't see anything wrong with what you've said, but perhaps I'd also try to simulate the frost stat at the wiring centre. From Buzz diagram, putting L onto 5 or 7 should drive the valve, put L onto Orange and start the boiler etc.

• Like Like x 1
  13. solarsavings

solarsavings Electrician's Arms

Are you providing frost protection for the whole system or just the boiler? I'm guessing it's the boiler so it should have a pipe stat wired in series with the frost stat.
    Does the system have an auto bypass valve fitted? It should have. If it has, I would wire it 1-10. That way you will only fired the boiler and drive the pump.

14. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - but putting L onto 10 won't open the valves, will it?

15. solarsavings

solarsavings Electrician's Arms

If he is only protecting the boiler he doesn't need to open the valves.

• Like Like x 1