Discuss Frost Stat Issue - System not working when connected in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Following on from my thread Heinz 57 heating system thread..................

I have installed a Heatmiser UH8-RF control centre a RF switch and two neoair thermostats into an S plan system. Had a few issues with the UH8-RF firing the boiler but in the end wired the boiler n/c from the UH8-RF to the orange cable of the two port valve which also has the connection from the RF switch for the central heating .
Everything works fine until I then connect the frost stat from the
boiler which is a Buderus Camray 5, I am connecting a permanent live from the wiring centre to the frost stat and then the return from the frost stat to the orange cables from the two port valves. At this point nothing happens at all, the existing heating or UFH will not fire even though the frost stat is turned down. As soon as I disconnect the frost stat everything works again?
Any ideas as to what I missing or doing wrong, I haven't got as far as the pipe stat as cannot get the system to work with just the frost stat!?

Frost Stat Issue - System not working when connected {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I think my first post is wrong, the return feed from my frost stat goes to what is in effect number seven the power feed from the time switch! cannot understand why this stops everything from working.

I have connected
1 to permanent live
2 to neutral
3 to brown of valve
I was of the view that if the frost stat activates this makes a circuit and kicks in the motorised valve & boiler, when I wire the frost stat up nothing works, nothing trips, nothing, if I then disconnect it everything works?

Not sure what has happened there then. Check your connections again.
It shouldn't be stopping anything as it is Normally Open and is connected across Line and HTG Valve Motor (brown).

Hi Roly - I can't see anything wrong with what you've said, but perhaps I'd also try to simulate the frost stat at the wiring centre. From Buzz diagram, putting L onto 5 or 7 should drive the valve, put L onto Orange and start the boiler etc.

Are you providing frost protection for the whole system or just the boiler? I'm guessing it's the boiler so it should have a pipe stat wired in series with the frost stat.
Does the system have an auto bypass valve fitted? It should have. If it has, I would wire it 1-10. That way you will only fired the boiler and drive the pump.

The boiler is a significant distance from the house in a detached outbuilding and involves underground pipes so yes I do want to open the valves and activate the heating.

Then you could end up with an unhappy customer complaining about their house being too hot. Avoid that by fitting a pipe stat on the return at the boiler in series with the frost stat.

If he is only protecting the boiler he doesn't need to open the valves.

You'd need to confirm there was a bypass first. If it's S Plan and all zone vales valves are shut the pump will be pumping against closed valves, straining the pump plus the boiler will go into into lockout as it will go into over temp alarm very quickly. If that alarm latched and stayed in lockout, then the boiler could freeze irrespective of frost stat being made.

Reply to Frost Stat Issue - System not working when connected in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock