Discuss FSU or socket? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joey82

Dishwasher is knackered and new one delivered. Old one was hard wired into a fused spur inside cupboard. New one has plug. Whats best practice, do I get plug chopped off and wired into fsu like old one or change front plate to 3 pin socket and plug in? Thanks for any help.

If you chop the plug off, then you will void the warranty.

Ok good thinking. I shall wire a plug socket from the fsu. Cheers.

If you chop the plug off, then you will void the warranty.

Oh God!! Here we go again, giving totally DUFF information about cutting off appliance plug tops!!

It will ''NOT'' void any manufacturer's warranty to connect any domestic kitchen/laundry (White Goods) appliance to a mains supply using a FCU. It is a recognised and fully complying method. Only if the connection made to such a device is a DIY lash-up, can any disclaimer be applied by the Manufacturer or it's Agents, ...End Of!!

Thanks for update to this. The guy who installed it told me to just cut the plug off and wire it straight to fsu as the old one was. He waant allowed to do it cos only allowed to plug em in by law. Anyhow all works fine. Not sure what fuse should be in fsu cos it fell out and rolled under floor. I put 13amp in till told otherwise. Many thanks. Joe.

Thanks for update to this. The guy who installed it told me to just cut the plug off and wire it straight to fsu as the old one was. He waant allowed to do it cos only allowed to plug em in by law. Anyhow all works fine. Not sure what fuse should be in fsu cos it fell out and rolled under floor. I put 13amp in till told otherwise. Many thanks. Joe.

Your fine, it would have been a 13A fuse that rolled away from you...lol!!

Oh God!! Here we go again, giving totally DUFF information about cutting off appliance plug tops!!

It will ''NOT'' void any manufacturer's warranty to connect any domestic kitchen/laundry (White Goods) appliance to a mains supply using a FCU. It is a recognised and fully complying method. Only if the connection made to such a device is a DIY lash-up, can any disclaimer be applied by the Manufacturer or it's Agents, ...End Of!!

So if it is a moulded plug and he chops it off, then the appliance goes faulty after a month, are you saying that the outlet he bought it from will just take it back, I am pretty sure they would use it as an excuse to wriggle out of it.

So if it is a moulded plug and he chops it off, then the appliance goes faulty after a month, are you saying that the outlet he bought it from will just take it back, I am pretty sure they would use it as an excuse to wriggle out of it.
I agree, it is all well and good people saying "just cut is off", but it is a another thing if you had to return it with a fault.

Well just for the record "he" contacted the manufacturer and asked by email if it was ok to chop it off and direct wire to fsu. Answer...yes not a problem Will it void my warranty? Answer..no not at all, we have to supply the unit with a plug by law. Many installations are hard wired directly by installers. Removing the factory plug will not void any warranty or guarantee you have

You can think what you like, but consumer law say's that the warranty will still stand!!
The outlet where the appliance was bought, is NOT the company issuing the warranty, therefore it can't void the warranty can it....

Well just for the record "he" contacted the manufacturer and asked by email if it was ok to chop it off and direct wire to fsu. Answer...yes not a problem Will it void my warranty? Answer..no not at all, we have to supply the unit with a plug by law. Many installations are hard wired directly by installers. Removing the factory plug will not void any warranty or guarantee you have

That's correct, manufacturers supplying to the EU, are no longer allowed to supply electrical goods without a plug top. The plug top also has to be suitable for the country of final destination. It's also a good indication if say outlets in the UK are selling what is commonly known as ''Brown Goods'' eg, Electrical goods supplied for use in another country, that are then purchased third hand and shipped/sold in the UK.

You can think what you like, but consumer law say's that the warranty will still stand!!
The outlet where the appliance was bought, is NOT the company issuing the warranty, therefore it can't void the warranty can it....

Fair play dad domestic and white goods are not my area so thanks for clearing it up for me, and I will keep quiet in future lol

Fair play dad domestic and white goods are not my area so thanks for clearing it up for me, and I will keep quiet in future lol

3 bananas docked from pay.

gorilla once ask monkey " does sh!t stick to your fur?", monkey said "yes" , so gorilla wiped his arse on the monkey.

Reply to FSU or socket? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net