Discuss Full House Rewire - Received Schedule but No Part P in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JayMax

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping someone could give me advice about a sutuation.
A couple of years ago I had a property fully rewired, no issues with the job and I paid the electrician in full. Job done.
Once I'd paid I received an automated NAPIT Desktop email titled "Your Certificate". I mistakenly assumed this certificate was the Part P.
Now two years laters I'm getting some minor electrical work done using a different electrician. He asked for documentation.
So, as you may guess it transpires that what was given for the rewire was an Inspection & Test Schedule certificate.
I've emailed and called the original electrician but emails are unanswered and mobile phone calls get cut off. The contact details I'm using are still current according to his Facebook page and website.
I called NAPIT for help but he has now moved to ELECSA, so NAPIT can't/won't do anything. They advise to contact LABC and see if they'll accept an EICR.

What do I do here?
If he has done the Schedules then surely the Part P would be a minor thing to sort?
I don't understand the convoluted notification process, the new electrician tried to explain it, but it seems that NAPIT may not have notified the LABC?
There were no issues with the job, I paid in full on completion so I'm at a loss as to why he would not have issued Part P.
So I'm unhappy that I'll have aproperty with no Part P should Icome to sell it, and have to pay for an EICR if LABC will accept it.

Does anyone have any advice please?
Will ELECSA get involved when he wasn't a member at the time?
Trading Standards?

Thank you

Your new electrician is only asking for documentation to possibly make his job easier, just tell him you don't have any, it won't hinder his work, he will still have to test and cert' his own work, any other part of the installation he doesn't really have to worry about if he doesn't get involved with it.
Having previous paperwork just makes it easier sometimes to weigh up an existing installation but given that back in the days no one ever had any signed off certificates yet we all still managed then if he is competent he should be fine.
Don't waste anymore time trying to search for it, if the cert' you were given is a periodic test and inspection then it is as good as the installation certificate he would have normally supplied.

A few years ago the process of a scheme member carrying out a notification was not as automated as it is now, so there is a possibility that it wasn't done at the time. Nowdays with online certification (I was with Elecsa), once a Electrical Installation Certificate is completed (required for a rewire) a simple tick box is selected to carry out the notification process.

I would recommend going on your local building control web site, and carrying out a search on your property. Any building regs, planning & electrical notifications etc completed, will be listed there.

Firstly have you phoned building control to check if it has been notified, I often notify work and my automated software through my scheme does not notify the customer. The part P certificate is simply one page containing a line saying that a rewire has been completed and by whom and on what date, it contains no information whatsoever which would benefit your new electrician. If he was registered with NAPIT at the time of the non notification it is their responsibility to sort this. If you have the certificate signed by him at that time and can prove he was registered with them make a complaint to them asking that the situation is rectified. Also speak to local building control send them the certificate with the electricians details and ask if they will get involved if it was not notified.

Thanks for the quick replies :)
I've just searched the LABC planning portal and there's nothing on there.
So am I right in thinking that NAPIT should have notified the LABC?
As the Schedules are from NAPIT Desktop, then the original electrician has entered my job into their system and they should have taken care of it for him?

Edit - no, not contacted Building Control yet as I wanted a better understanding of my situation, in case I shoot myself in the foot or something with them or end up with a fine.

Once I'd paid I received an automated NAPIT Desktop email titled "Your Certificate". I mistakenly assumed this certificate was the Part P.

I would take a guess and say that is exactly what it is

There is no Part P certificate as such,what Napit sends is usually a small declaration letter that has wording that the council has been notified

what was given for the rewire was an Inspection & Test Schedule certificate.

I fail to understand what more you expect to be given
If I am reading your description correctly (you were given a Eic)then all is in order, the electrician has issued all the reams of often worthless paperwork this occupation demands

Firstly have you phoned building control to check if it has been notified, I often notify work and my automated software through my scheme does not notify the customer. The part P certificate is simply one page containing a line saying that a rewire has been completed and by whom and on what date, it contains no information whatsoever which would benefit your new electrician. If he was registered with NAPIT at the time of the non notification it is their responsibility to sort this. If you have the certificate signed by him at that time and can prove he was registered with them make a complaint to them asking that the situation is rectified. Also speak to local building control send them the certificate with the electricians details and ask if they will get involved if it was not notified.

Phoning LBC at this time, might let the cat out of the bag & create a whole heap of problems for the OP, best just check as I suggested.

As I said in my #3, a few years ago the notification process wasn't automated or linked in with the certificate as it is now. In the earlier days, the contractor had to do the notification separately. The electrician may have just forgot.

If your LBC has no record of the rewire, (i.e. a compliance certificate), Napit has no record of the electrician carrying out a notification, your can't make contact with the electrician to verify, I think its safe to assume your rewire wasn't registered with your LBC.

Until such time you come to sell your property, in most circumstances it will not be an issue. If the work is identified by either the vendors or buyers solicitor, then it will need resolving. You would then need to contact your LBC on how to do this; has happened before & will happen again. It may cost you a few hundred pounds though. An EICR as mentioned, or pay the council for a regularisation certificate.

If an electrician was registered with NAPIT and completed a rewire and certificated it but failed to notify it to the LABC why does it ever need an EICR? All this is likely to achieve is more cost for the op? At the time it was completed it complied with the edition of BS7671 at that time, it is now up to NAPIT to notify albeit retrospectively the work. You cannot check Part P notifications via the planning portal so you will need to call and speak to the LABC as it will probably be an archived record, they will not fine you or anything drastic like that, truth be known if you send the original certificate and explain the situation they may even chase the electrician for you or just sign it off.
Just because a scheme no longer covers an individual they are still responsible retrospectively for his or her old work.

Hi - your new Electrician doesn't need to see paperwork from the rewire so I'd just crack on. Perhaps clarify with the Electrician you need new work be registered with Council, if that's needed. You shouldn't have to, but that's human nature for you. I agree that raising the rewire notification with Council now (if you don't need to) may be poking the bear :bearface: .

If an electrician was registered with NAPIT and completed a rewire and certificated it but failed to notify it to the LABC why does it ever need an EICR? All this is likely to achieve is more cost for the op? At the time it was completed it complied with the edition of BS7671 at that time, it is now up to NAPIT to notify albeit retrospectively the work. You cannot check Part P notifications via the planning portal so you will need to call and speak to the LABC as it will probably be an archived record, they will not fine you or anything drastic like that, truth be known if you send the original certificate and explain the situation they may even chase the electrician for you or just sign it off.
Just because a scheme no longer covers an individual they are still responsible retrospectively for his or her old work.

This going to be an epic :)

You can check for a compliance certificate on your local building control web site, I can mine. There's a public access area where you can view planning applications, which includes things such as replacment windows, cavity wall insulation & notifiable electrical work, on a particular property; SO THERE ;)

Simple Search - https://publicaccess.westoxon.gov.uk/online-applications/

We all know the process for carrying out notifiable work. If the process is not followed, it cannot just be sort retrospectively, on a nod & a wink. If Napit has a record of such, they should be able to provide a copy for a small admin fee; as we know compliance certificates are not addressed to a particular person, but a particular property.

In the OP's case, if he/she hasn't a compliance certificate for the rewire, only the LBC can say how compliance can be achieved retrospectively. As I mentioned before a Regularisation Certificate may have to be applied for, which might include an EICR being carried out. Last time I checked, my council wanted £600+ for a Regularisation Certificate. In the OP's case, the LBC might not take that route, but something to be aware of, before you start ringing them.

Ultimately, it is the person ordering the work, to ensure the work complies with Building Regulations, although tradespersons have been prosecuted for not complying.

Right,has anybody asked the OP what the original agreement was,with the original electrician? Scope of works? Contract? A well meaning "...don't worry about it mate,i'll sort it...) ?

Thought,Hope and Expected,are all things which will help nobody,years down the line.

If the OP does not suspect any problems from the first work,and the second spark has not found any,crack on. Any future sale of the property will not be at risk,to any higher degree,than any other,bearing in mind,a purchaser or their agent can request any type of survey or testing they wish.

Reply to Full House Rewire - Received Schedule but No Part P in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock