Discuss Functional earth fly leads and rcbos in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Still can't see any problem fitting 1.0 mm flex in a plug top without ferrules.
It's not like the terminals are massive nor the grub screw.

I use plain uninsulated ferrules in plugs and other accessories when building equipment in the workshop, but I don't lose any sleep if it's not convenient to do so out and about, as most plugs make a sound connection if the wire is suitably prepared. Some connectors like good quality IECs have conductor protection under the screw anyway and don't need ferrules at all. I first started ferruling in plugs after I saw sparks doing it in Germany in about 1989 when I was on a work experience exchange from school.

Re. RCBO FE flyleads I keep blue 0.75 and white 0.5mm² ferrules in the kit as standard.

Re. tinning ends of fine stranded, I don't like it at all. It makes things look neat but over time the solder cold-flows out from amongst the strands under the pressure of the screw. I've seen tinned ends in choc block go completely slack after a year or two of thermal cycling.

@westward10

Wilko has already pointed to the regulation which does express all fine-wire should be suitably crimped, I haven't the regs to hand but I am going by memory and previous discussion on this matter, the exception is if the connection device is designed to take fine-wire without it been dressed, plug tops are not designed to accept fine-wire undressed so the regulation applies that they would indeed need a uninsulated ferrule crimp.... insulated tend to have issues fitting in the plug top.

If you look at any BS standard goods that come with a terminated flex you should find it has been suitably crimped or has had special terminals fitted be it a drop, a plug top or the internal wiring of a product, you will not see them connected bare anymore into a standard screw terminal, the regulations are across the board, it is now our industry that is lacking in applying this standard and not the manufacturers as used to be 15yrs ago.

I can upload deta pendant if you like?
But I assure you the flex don't come crimped

Please do, is this a new pendant that hasn't been shortened or doesn't have specific terminations designed for fine-wire, if it is new and does not dress the fine-wire then it is probably in breach of their own BS regulations for such products... I am interested to see your upload as the last Deta I did was dressed cable ends but as they are uninsulated crimps you sometimes need to take them out to see the crimp.

@westward10
If you look at any BS standard goods that come with a terminated flex you should find it has been suitably crimped or has had special terminals fitted be it a drop, a plug top or the internal wiring of a product, you will not see them connected bare anymore into a standard screw terminal, the regulations are across the board, it is now our industry that is lacking in applying this standard and not the manufacturers as used to be 15yrs ago.

What about those MK plug tops, you would have to snip off crimped terminals :)

upload_2017-9-14_17-25-36.jpeg

A slightly bigger picture :rolleyes:

images

@westward10

Wilko has already pointed to the regulation which does express all fine-wire should be suitably crimped, I haven't the regs to hand but I am going by memory and previous discussion on this matter, the exception is if the connection device is designed to take fine-wire without it been dressed, plug tops are not designed to accept fine-wire undressed so the regulation applies that they would indeed need a uninsulated ferrule crimp.... insulated tend to have issues fitting in the plug top.

Whilst I am not disagreeing the Regulation does not state they should be suitably crimped but "suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated", whatever that implies. Whether this applies to a plug top or fixed wiring, the latter I suspect.

This is the connection instructions from a rewirable plug top and it states nothing of fitting ferrules or the like.20170914_174817.jpg

Please do, is this a new pendant that hasn't been shortened or doesn't have specific terminations designed for fine-wire, if it is new and does not dress the fine-wire then it is probably in breach of their own BS regulations for such products... I am interested to see your upload as the last Deta I did was dressed cable ends but as they are uninsulated crimps you sometimes need to take them out to see the crimp.
Back on site tomorrow so I will do
And I use deta all the time

Agree with Lucien - it is not good practice to tin the ends of stranded wire if they are being inserted into a screw terminal.

Ferrules in 13A plug-tops? Really?

IMG_3041.JPG IMG_3043.JPG IMG_3042.JPG IMG_3040.JPG IMG_3040.JPG

Reply to Functional earth fly leads and rcbos in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net