Discuss Functional earth fly leads and rcbos in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes that one where no definition is given for multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire. To me that covers all conductors beyond solid core does it not. Whatever it refers to the requirement is to fit suitable terminals or suitably treat the ends.

The terms are defined in other British standards and if you look at the data sheets for the cable it should tell you what type and class of conductor it is.

I will do some digging as to which standard cover the likes of deta and volex for pendants etc, but you can visually see the strands are not clamped correctly in those screw terminals, the only positive on it is the fact the current is so small compared to the ccc of that cable that even a poor termination with the fine-wire wouldn't give rise to an issue.

Agree with Lucien - it is not good practice to tin the ends of stranded wire if they are being inserted into a screw terminal.

Ferrules in 13A plug-tops? Really?

Not the ferrules with a plastic guide on them, non-insulated ferrules, like a bootlace without the plastic skirt, a lot of products now that come with plug tops that are not molded do use these crimps, the fact that screw terminals will by their nature push apart and splay the fine-wire even when they are twisted usually ending up with a poor termination is enough for me to say it should be done... look at post 40 by Ian - first pic and look how the manufacturers termination has splayed the cores and pushed them up the sides of the screw where they will be not clamped properly and often damaged by the sharp edges of the thread, the space at the side of the thread is clear in the pics and I cannot believe that the majority of manufacturers now crimp in this situation just because they want to as it adds time and money to make the product... I know that pendants are covered by the BS67 (1987) and this references many other regulations but as it's not the cheapest thing to buy it is hard to find any specific info, I believe it is like our regs in that there will be so many areas of compliance that these small things can be lost in the paperwork meaning some manufacturers may be in non-compliance, noted the two brands shown above are budget brands, they indeed may not be breaching any regulations at the end of the day but if is shown that the terminations at factory are not clamping the fine-wire correctly then it should be the case you do not need a regulation to alter how you terminate the product.

Last edited:
Since I've started to use ferrules more, I see more of them in use. I must've been ferrule blind o_O

The 10mm ferrules,are ideal for finishing my nieces plaits and pony-tails off,when she stays,as she kept coming back from school,with her bobbles missing...

Strange,but they seem shorter,every time she visits...

Reply to Functional earth fly leads and rcbos in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock