Discuss Funerals and you think plumbers earn a fortune in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Squid

As some of you know my Aunt passed away earlier in the week and as I am at a loose end I have been helping my other Aunt the executor of the estate to sort things out.

£5500 for the funeral, this doesn't include the flowers......... £1500 to open the grave as its a dual plot/stacked......... jeeeeez

When I go I want a humanist funeral in a straw coffin and to be cremated.......

When I buried my Mum I got a a price and it worked out cheaper to by a triple stacked plot then a double as at the time I was a resident of Kensington and Chelsea and my Mum lived in W12 but wanted to be buried in a specific cemetery as she "liked" the place at least I got her a nice "view" of the Katyn memorial.

Sorry about the loss of your Aunt SWD. I believe cost of funerals are being investigated at the moment. If you catch any daytime TV it’s clear that there is a whole industry targeting the grey pound re saving plans etc for funerals.
I’m like you, humanist funeral in a cardboard box under an oak tree would suit me. Something to keep the worms happy for a few days. No idea about the cost of humanist funerals, fortunately something I’ve not had to research.:)

Sorry about the loss of your Aunt SWD. I believe cost of funerals are being investigated at the moment. If you catch any daytime TV it’s clear that there is a whole industry targeting the grey pound re saving plans etc for funerals.
I’m like you, humanist funeral in a cardboard box under an oak tree would suit me. Something to keep the worms happy for a few days. No idea about the cost of humanist funerals, fortunately something I’ve not had to research.:)
Thanks FatAlan, she was 93 and had a good innings especially after spending a few years in a concentration camp in Siberia..... then living in Tanganika.

My other Aunt decided on the £1000 coffin instead of the £300 one as it was a nicer colour and solid wood......... so costs mount up.....

I think I will be cremated.

Being cremated isn't much cheaper. We cremated my father earlier this year (before anyone asks, yes, he had died). We went for the cheapest coffin etc. as we (myself and my sister) don't see the point in going expensive and it still ran into thousands. Why do people spend a fortune on coffins etc. Once you're dead you ain't going to appreciate a box costing a thousand plus. When I eventually croak I want my kids to spend as little as possible on me. When I'm dead I'm dead! I'm not coming back to complain that they are tight fisted.

I've told my wife to just chuck me in a skip.

Funeral director charged my mum £200 for my dads ashes to be put in an urn, he then wanted an extra £50 to seal it for burial...

Sorry to hear of your loss SWD.
The industry is a fair example of taking the micky when you are most vulnerable. One that got me was a £220 charge for my Dad to stay in their fridge overnight. I'm sure he enjoyed every minute of it ...

Sorry for your loss SWD,I heard as Alan that the government is looking into the costs and lack of competition in the funeral industry......rich old man told me once that you’ll always make money in food and funerals....never mentioned plumbing though

Condolences for your loss SWD.

My wife's parents passed away a few years back, they were cremated but ashes were interned in a small plot in a cemetery. Can't remember the exact figures, but they were very similar to yours.

If its of any comparison, I just payed a similar amount, to my estate agents, for the sale of my old house. Apart from a few glossy photos, uploading the details to Rightmove, about 12 viewings, and reading the meters, they didn't do a lot else for their bill.

Compared to the £1100 I paid my solicitor for the legal work, its more like daylight robbery IMO.

Why not leave your body to medical research and or for transplants. Some one could use your own van to take you to the crem in and do a bit of adverting on the way. That would be head line news.

Condolences for your loss SWD.

My wife's parents passed away a few years back, they were cremated but ashes were interned in a small plot in a cemetery. Can't remember the exact figures, but they were very similar to yours.

If its of any comparison, I just payed a similar amount, to my estate agents, for the sale of my old house. Apart from a few glossy photos, uploading the details to Rightmove, about 12 viewings, and reading the meters, they didn't do a lot else for their bill.

Compared to the £1100 I paid my solicitor for the legal work, its more like daylight robbery IMO.
Don't get me started on that one, my Aunt who passed away was my Mothers younger sister, the other Aunt is her cousin and is the executor of the will, the house will have to be sold so technically the living Aunt now needs to buy a house somewhere, she mentioned Windsor but we'll see I have spoken to my cousin and we are going to all have to keep an eye on this, as i am the one at a loose end and live the closest then I will take responsibillity in handling certain things. I also need to mention to my Aunt that I want the Japanese officers WWII sword that my Uncle somehow got hold off but thats something for later.......

Don't get me started on that one, my Aunt who passed away was my Mothers younger sister, the other Aunt is her cousin and is the executor of the will, the house will have to be sold so technically the living Aunt now needs to buy a house somewhere, she mentioned Windsor but we'll see I have spoken to my cousin and we are going to all have to keep an eye on this, as i am the one at a loose end and live the closest then I will take responsibillity in handling certain things. I also need to mention to my Aunt that I want the Japanese officers WWII sword that my Uncle somehow got hold off but thats something for later.......
Someone suggested Purple Bricks or similar if your not in a rush for quick sell.

Someone suggested Purple Bricks or similar if your not in a rush for quick sell.
I know my Aunt, she will want a quiet sale no advertising etc etc there is someone I know that works for an online agent and their fees are .75% + Vat + £160 listing fee and he covers the Fulham area so close buy to my Aunt.

Don’t sound a lot better. My lad suggested Purple Bricks, thought that cost about a grand?
It's about £2k for the postcode the house is in, don't think my Aunt will put up with the hassle as she doesn't want any boards up outside the house. What ever the fee is about £18k then the Government loses out.

My dad wanted to be buried in a cardbord box (he was tight) but guess what a wooden box was cheaper so we whent cheap as thats what he wanted

My mate is in the trade and an ordinary pine effect (chipboard) box is £85 as a flat pack! Doctor's sign 2death certificates, the coroner's one free (and off you go to the morgue) but the release to funeral director death certificate is £85+VAT...

Reply to Funerals and you think plumbers earn a fortune in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net