Discuss Further study and engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hectorhill

Hi,

was as after some advice in regards to working towards my HNC and hopefully hnd and then degree in an electrical discipline. I've posted on here a few times before but just to give a quick background:-
6 months experience in the industry
about to complete NVQ level 3 portfolio to become qualified
have just passed maths bridging module at uni which says I am ok to enrol for hnc

I'm fully aware that I need to learn my trade first and have allowed for this. By the time I get any where near an hnd I will have about 5 years experience 'on the tools' which will hopefully compliment the qualifications.

ive done a lot of research on the web about becoming an engineer and unfortunately most of it seems to suggest that the hnc will be of little use as an installation electrician (though apparently they like it if you have a hands on back ground). I am really looking for a qualification that compliments the work I have already done in terms of the electrics (NVQ level 3 & 2391-10) and don't really want to be looking to start from scratch yet again.
Has anyone else experience of this situation? I'm signed up to COLU and they have straight electrical engineering, instrumentation and panelling amongst others. A few people have mentioned programmable logic controllers and although this is one module on the engineering hnc is it something worth looking further into?

As fickle as this may be one of the reasons I chose the electrical industry is for a good salary. one of the main motivations in making me enrol (again) into distance learning is that Im just not happy with what is being offered by the agencies for installation work. Hence any direction I take will be influenced massively by what i will be paid for it. (Sorry if this sounds bad but just trying to be honest)

any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

Reply to Further study and engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net