Discuss Fuse board change with rear entry mounted on wood in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to change my board at home and wanted some advice on the most practical way for cable entry please.

I was thinking to do rear cable entry, through the rear knockout but wanted to know if this is acceptable as it is mounted on wood. This would seem a lot more practical and neater than having loads of glands along the top. Or doing what it is has now which is just a load of nockouts.

Let me know your thoughts please.

M

View attachment IMG_20180204_133155.jpg

Employ a local electrician to do it for you. The installation will be tested and correctly certified and building control notified if in England or Wales.

Employ a local electrician to do it for you. The installation will be tested and correctly certified and building control notified if in England or Wales.

The OP's profile suggests he/she is a trainee electrician.

Thanks all for you replies.

I am registered with NICEIC as a domestic installer. I just don't do very much work tbh as its not my full time job. I mainly became registered as it was cheaper to get registered and do the necessary qualifications than employ someone to do work in my house I also enjoy practice things greatly . Hence the question to utilise some of your knowledge please .

Many thanks,

M

I mount consumer units on ply wood, stood off on two vertical battens, cut a slot in the back and then cut a smaller slot in the timber...no need to grommet and everything rear entry....never had the slightest problems, even with NIC inspectors regarding tails.

I mount consumer units on ply wood, stood off on two vertical battens, cut a slot in the back and then cut a smaller slot in the timber...no need to grommet and everything rear entry....never had the slightest problems, even with NIC inspectors regarding tails.
Brilliant. That answers the question, many thanks.

Good question, I don't do alot of domestic but actually have one to do next week. I thought that the metal consumer units were meant to assist containment of heat. Is cutting a slot in the board breaching the containment capacity? Interested in this as was planning to drill, grommet and intumescent seal any holes?

I showed a CU change on my last assessment, it was forward from the wall on a board the gap behind (approx 2 inches)was closed off on the bottom with a strip of timber and the top of the small void behind was upto ceiling height. When you think about it, it is no different to a stud wall. I used intumescent sealant around the joins and where the CU met the sheet board. No questions were raised by the assessor. I had the tails coming in from underneath with a gland. everything else came in via the back.

Have a read of this Q & A of the Day - Is mounting consumer units on MDF board a fire risk? - https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/q-day-mounting-consumer-units-mdf

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm looking to change my board at home and wanted some advice on the most practical way for cable entry please.

I was thinking to do rear cable entry, through the rear knockout but wanted to know if this is acceptable as it is mounted on wood. This would seem a lot more practical and neater than having loads of glands along the top. Or doing what it is has now which is just a load of nockouts.

M

View attachment 40630

Hi,What is the reason for changing this board? It looks like it has not been in long...or its had a valet:)

I heard differing reasons for introduction of A3 CU's. Firstly it was to try & contain any fire, then it changed to removing any additional source of fuel for a fire. Wish they'd make up their mind.

None of the guidance however, suggests any cable entry holes should anything other than the applicable IP rating as prescribed in BS7671. If you think about, there's a big flappy thing on the front, that's unlikely to contain any fire.

Hi all,

M

View attachment 40630
i would keep that CU. change some of the MCBs on the right hand side to RCBOs ( or fit a second RCD) wherever required to bring it up to 17th ed. and tidy up that cabling. looks like it's been through a blender.

I think looking at the location, if I were to change the board I would certainly change the location. That looks damned difficult for any kind of work where it is. As to back entry, I do worry as the CU most have a gigantic square knockout which in my view could defeat the fire containment effectiveness of the CU if not done in the right way.

Then surely they would be asking their mentor for their apprenticeship for such advice and to know when they are ready to take such a job?

It appears not, read #5. But why couldn't an apprentice ask others for opinions. I know some who get the hump, when asked their opinion, and then they ask someone else, not me.

Reply to Fuse board change with rear entry mounted on wood in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock