Discuss Fuse board regs? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

macka09

Hi all. I'm not an electrician but would like some advice please.
95b5b48905bcb750ba855dd16ccd444a.jpg

The fuse board above is what is in our new property. A single old man lift there before us and only had few appliances.
We're now being told our house insurance will be void if we don't get it upgraded and it needs doing for our safety. I don't mean to question a qualified electricians judgement but I've never heard anything like it. Any advice please?

I know mate but I'm not at the house now. It's the same board with breakers for lighting upstairs & downstairs. There's one for sockets down stairs and 1 for sockets upstairs. One for the cooker. That's it I think. Basically he's said its fine for 1 bloke but not for a family of 4

nothing wrong with that board. it will serve most sizes of domestic property., no matter if it's 1 bloke or a family of 10. after jan.2016, all new boards need to be metal b ut the new reg. does not apply to boards already fitted. sounds like you have met an electrician touting for work.

it would be advantageous to have it checked over before any new circuits are added.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with the board per-se, as long as the electrical installation is safe.
Did the electrician do any testing or did he just look at the board and condemn it?
Talk to your insurers and ask them what they require.

ha. she's probably still breast feeding the toerag.

so insist that the landlady makes good the decor.

Tell this plonker that your house insurance provider have requested this opinion in writing so they can verify it with their experts.
Something like that should make him wind his neck in.

No no. The electrician is the landladys son. That's why I'm disgusted at the thought of him making money off his mother

Get a sparkie in to have a look see and give you advice shouldn't cost to much, I would do it for nowt if I was local, but then again I am a soft touch.

Time for a 2nd opinion IMHO

As for insurance companies requesting it - absolute bxllxcks

Edit: Where are you based - I too would give you my opinion FOC

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the board look exactly like that or just very similar.

There are a number of possible configurations of protective device which could be found inside the same enclosure. This will vary depending on the age and nature of the installation. All of the possibilities will give fault protection (MCBs) but some will give additional electric shock protection (RCDs) .

None of them will void your insurance nor will the number of people living there have any effect on it!

Reply to Fuse board regs? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net