Discuss Fuse Box Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

maff117

Hi There

apologise if i have put this in the wrong forum, was hoping to steal some advice if I can, am looking to purchase my first home and have some quires I hope you can rest my mind with

I am a home cinema and PC Geek so wondering how old this install could be, will it be up to the task for my requirements, and a rough quote to try and budget with if it needs to be updated

many thanks in advance
Matt

Attachments

• Fuse Box Advice DSC_8477 - EletriciansForums.net
    DSC_8477.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 35
at first glance, it appears to be circa 1070's - early 80's. without being on site to take a few measurements, it's not possible to assess whether it's fit for continued use. main concern is lack of RCD protection, but that's not to say it's unsafe. if you post your location, an experienced member may be close.

Very late 60s early to late 70s

i'd put it a bit later, pete. white wylex, all plastic. unless that's an upgrade from separate sw/fuses. i'd guess, though, that the MEM unit is an addition for a shower or something.

i'd put it a bit later, pete. white wylex, all plastic. unless that's an upgrade from separate sw/fuses.

Never was much good dating things, even women lol you could be right of course, I was just poking in the dark, no pun intended

was always good at dating women. it was getting rid was the hard bit.

Know what you mean

it's a hard life being a much sought after stud. :sifone:

thanks for the replies so far :), and i know a survey is going to be the only way to know for sure but with the age of above would a rewire be needed? and a rough cost to replace the above and add a couple of extra sockets to a good standard

house we are looking at is in liverpool

i couldn't see a reason for extra power to the bathroom(no power shower) but it could have been for the GCH install they did to the property

I'd put the fuse box at about 1980 give or take a few years.

As others say, without doing tests there's no way to say its safe etc, the only thing for me would be the lack of RCD protection, without seeing it I'd put a rough price off ÂŁ375 to upgrade it to a new shiny board, but that's on the basis of nothing particularly problematic on change over.

I think my advice would be to spend some money upgrading it and making it safer for your family.

Maff117, you need to get an electrician to look at this for you, without causing any needless concern I would ask an electrician to look at why the "Tails have been reduced in size feeding into two Isolation switches and are they good enough for what your going/wanting to add into your new home. Why the Earth is so small going to the Main Earth Terminal (MET)". The new looking grey twin and earth is twisted and not clipped (although easy to do) has not been done is a clear indication of poor workmanship or a DIYer.

A few things in your picture needs looking at by an electrician IMHO.

at first glance, it appears to be circa 1070's - early 80's. without being on site to take a few measurements, it's not possible to assess whether it's fit for continued use. main concern is lack of RCD protection, but that's not to say it's unsafe. if you post your location, an experienced member may be close.

We'll that one hell of a time scale 910 years didnt know they had electricity in 1070 , ill agree to late 70's early 80's

well spotted, nick. fat fingers and the 0 is right next to the 9. elex friday?

well spotted, nick. fat fingers and the 0 is right next to the 9. elex friday?

Sorry mate im going to elex tomorow changing van on friday and work commitments friday shame ill miss you

Reply to Fuse Box Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock