Discuss Fuse box removal questions in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jack M

-
Reaction score
Hello, this is (hopefully) a very simple question. As a general background we have been living in an apartment for 3 days with an incredibly noisy ventilator that has been driving us up the wall. There is no off switch for it, just a switch to heat the incoming air. Today i noticed that it also linked to a white fuse box. I have removed the fuse to stop the ventilator working (now been living in a very peaceful flat for 10 minutes). My two questions are:
1. Does this stop the electricity completely to it i.e. Is electricity still running in the circuit, just not passing the removed fuse, and therefore wasting electricity and...
2. Is this dangerous to have it removed until the need arises to use the ventilator?

Thanks for any help guys

Hi Jack - taking the fuse out of a circuit should isolate that circuit, but it's not the recommended method at all, as you may have left live conductors exposed ... There should be a switch which has that function. Have a look around at a high level up the wall perhaps. If you want, post up a couple of pics and it might be clearer :)

Thanks for the quick reply! A couple of photos attached. The only switch i can see is one to turn on heat, leading down to the fuse box. Nothing on top either.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So the electricity doesn't drip out of the fuse holder contacts then?

But seriously

The Kenwood system is a probably a Positve Pressure Ventilation system. This is there to prevent to build up of mould. If you are renting the property then have the landlord replace the noisy fan unit. If you switch it off and the flat gets mould then the landlord might ask you some questions.
Of course, if the flat is its yours then you should have it done.
It should be almost silent in operation and is designed to run continuously. So if it is noisy then it needs to go to the great fan cemetery in the sky

Last edited:
So the electricity doesn't drip out of the fuse holder contacts then?

But seriously

The Kenwood system is a probably a Positve Pressure Ventilation system. This is there to prevent to build up of mould. If you are renting the property then have the landlord replace the noisy fan unit. If you switch it off and the flat gets mould then the landlord might ask you some questions.
Of course, if the flat is its yours then you should have it done.
It should be almost silent in operation and is designed to run continuously. So if it is noisy then it needs to go to the great fan cemetery in the sky

Agree, you shouldn't just be turning it off. It was put there for a reason, no-one would install it merely for aesthetic effect.

personally, I'm not a fan of these units. :D. I'd rather fix the condensation problem.usually caused by tenants blocking air vents and sealing windows tight shut.A dry house with a few draughts is far healthier than a warm wet one.

Perhaps there aren't any windows in that part of the apartment. If there are then maybe it was installed for decorative purposes after all.

Perhaps there aren't any windows in that part of the apartment. If there are then maybe it was installed for decorative purposes after all.
Good point Mate Me and the Mrs are going to B&Q on Sat to get some trunking and bits to slap on the wall, going for that stick on stuff so next year we can change the colour

pete. love to meet you @ elex coventry, but it's ÂŁ35 on the truck on the tracks, taxis from stations another ÂŁ20 or so. add another ÂŁ30 for beer, it's beyond my economic capabilities.

pete. love to meet you @ elex coventry, but it's ÂŁ35 on the truck on the tracks, taxis from stations another ÂŁ20 or so. add another ÂŁ30 for beer, it's beyond my economic capabilities.
Know what you mean Tel

Reply to Fuse box removal questions in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net