Discuss Fuse Help for hob & oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies is this is in the wrong section, I am no electrician and I am after some advise/help.

I have an electric fan oven and induction hob and they both run off the same fuse, when ever I cook for long periods of time the 13A fuse in the wall seems to blow and when we remove it its boiling hot. It has done it once before but thought maybe it was just the fuse that blew, but yesterday I was cooking for a few hours and it did it again, when ever we replaced the fuse it just blew within a few seconds and that fuse was boiling hot straight away.
Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening please?

When the fuse blew yesterday it didnt trip on the mains board.

Any advise would be really helpful.

Thank you

If you are correct that they both run off the same fuse In a wall mounted enclosure something is sadly wrong here .
You need to get this checked out as the cables will suffer damage that could lead to a fire.
I had an oven a few weeks back that had burned the connections to a crisp in the oven itself , fed from a 13 amp plug, it did not have the help of a hob, so get this checked for safeties sake.
The occupiers had just been changing the fuse until it would no longer hold.

Well there is a 13amp fuse plug on the wall and when you switch that off both the hob and oven go off? How would I know if they are definitely running off one that one fuse?
We didn't install it ourselves, it was already in when we moved in May.

Well if they both go off it seems pretty certain to me .
Are you saying the hob is just plugged in to a socket?
Is this a free standing cooker or separates?

Well there is a 13amp fuse plug on the wall and when you switch that off both the hob and oven go off? How would I know if they are definitely running off one that one fuse?
We didn't install it ourselves, it was already in when we moved in May.

Give us a clue to your location, could be one of us is nearby and able to pop in and take a look.

I'm not really sure where it's plugged into as the oven is on one side of the kitchen and the hob is on the other.
We have a socket like this
BG Electrical Nexus White Mould Switched Spur Neon 852 | RS Electrical Supplies - https://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/bg-electrical-nexus-white-mould-switched-spur-neon-852_10913?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9czdgZHI2AIVrLvtCh3_Fwq6EAQYASABEgIWtPD_BwE
Which is where the fuse is that keeps blowing and getting really hot.
Then we have switches like this for the other appliances
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chrome-Customised-Kitchen-Switch-Switches/dp/B00WPU01BG

Long distance diagnosis is a bit tricky, the best advice is get someone in to take a look.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely . If the hob and oven are both protected by that 13 amp switched fused connection unit there is something amiss.
You need to get that checked out . The grid system may be suspect.

Just to expand slightly on what others have said, the first picture you posted of a Fused connection unit is suitable for controlling most smaller single ovens. Larger (or higher powered) ovens and electric hobs need to be fed from their own circuit and would normally be controlled by a bigger switch suitable for switching the higher current. (like this one Crabtree 45A 1-Gang Cooker Switch White - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/crabtree-45a-1-gang-cooker-switch-white/42524 )

If both appliences go off when you switch off that switch, it is almost certainly powering both and will be serverely overloaded when the oven or more than a single hob is on. The heat build up will also have likely damaged the switch/cables/connections inside.

As others have said, get an electrician to check all kitchen wiring as it seems it has been done by somebody without the correct understanding of how it should be done.

Yeah, if your hob is fully electric with no gas burners then it should never have been installed as it has been done. The fuse in the wall may suffice for the oven by itself but would never be sufficient for any standard electric hob. A four ring electric hob needs it's own dedicated circuit.

Reply to Fuse Help for hob & oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net