• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Fuse size for sy plan am2 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone who has passed there AM2 please tell me what size fuse they used for the sy heating plan. It is fed from a B16. So, would it just be a 13a? I have seen them just on a 3a before.

Cheers

It will state on the installation plans you get what size fuse to use.

Defo 16. I have always seen them on 6? Obviously wouldn’t put a 3amp fuse on 16amp breaker? The spec tells you the cable size and breaker size, not the fuse?
Just wondered if anyone had taken the am2 recently to clear it up?

just thought its common to have a 6 amp with 3 amp fuse?
they give you a box full of fuses and breakers etc. you have to chose the correct type. has anyone done the am2 recently?

no, that just a wiring diagram of the heating system. I want to put a 3 amp fuse in it. just want to be sure. would be my luck to fail on something like that. just though the heating would be on 6amp with a 3 amp fuse.

I normally install 2.5mm on a 16A MCB and then fuse down to 3A using a SFCU. This gives some scope in the future for additions. Say a shower pump for example which may well be located nearby.

The fuse required by the heating system would normally be specified in the installation manual for the boiler, but a 3A is a fairly safe bet.

no, that just a wiring diagram of the heating system. I want to put a 3 amp fuse in it. just want to be sure. would be my luck to fail on something like that. just though the heating would be on 6amp with a 3 amp fuse.
Don't think about what size fuse to put in, follow the installation document and you can't go wrong.

just thought its common to have a 6 amp with 3 amp fuse?
they give you a box full of fuses and breakers etc. you have to chose the correct type. has anyone done the am2 recently?

Nope, small appliance supplies are normally a 16A radial because this is the smallest standard power circuit.
Whether a 13A or 3A fuse is used in the switches fused spur will depend on the appliance, a domestic gas boiler is normally a 3A fuse.

Just out of interest.... why not?

Edit:-

The MCB is there to protect the cable... the fuse is there to protect the equipment.
Well, technically the fuse is to protect the cables on the load side of the fuse. Should a fuse be required for protection of the equipment then that is the responsibility of the manufacturer to fit an appropriate one. However, should the manufacturer's instructions require one then obviously due account must be taken of that.

Just out of interest.... why not?

Edit:-

The MCB is there to protect the cable... the fuse is there to protect the equipment.
Well, technically the fuse is to protect the cables on the load side of the fuse. Should a fuse be required for protection of the equipment then that is the responsibility of the manufacturer to fit an appropriate one. However, should the manufacturer's instructions require one then obviously due account must be taken of that.

Reply to Fuse size for sy plan am2 in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back