Discuss Fuseboard relocation....re-test required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

KevinH

-
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm pricing a job which involves re locating a fuseboard from a utility room, to garage wall backing on to utility. The installation is brand new build (fully installed and tested by others) with ammendment 3 compliant board.
Board is mounted at 1.2m at moment in utility and can go at a higher level in garage so as not to alter any length of cables. All cables including tails are dropping from above in cavity (timber framed) wall.
Job simply requires cutting hole in plasterboard above current fuseboard, then drilling through garage block wall to feed cables through to back entry board in garage.
Obviously i need cable identification in utility where cables are dropping in cavity then passing through wall.
My question is.....would I need to re test the full installation? Only asking as this would alter the quote i'm giving.
Personally I don't think it needs a re test, as I am not altering any circuits (cables will be exact length), not adding any circuits, and re using same brand new fuseboard with all circuits in same order.
Any thoughts???

personally, i'd do some basic tests after the relocation, like Ze. PFC, and a couple of Zs. as you say, all the circuits have not been altered, so IMO, a full set of tests is not necessary.

Hi telectrix,
My thoughts exactly, but are you saying issue new cert giving basic details and leaving rest blank, or just test for own peace of mind, no cert?

can't see why a cert. is required. no new circuits, no circuits altered. jus basic tests to confirm that you have got it right... earthing and bonding intact etc.

I think you should test every circuit. By rerouting the cables you have altered the circuits, and you might damage them pulling them through the wall, or mis-identified them when disconnecting. The only way to know is to test all. And if you're testing all, you may as well write up a cert, and issue it to the customer. Whether its needed or not.
How much more will it add to your quote, and are you likely to lose the job over it?

Tails are dropping from above? Where is the meter position, and is there an isolator? (fuse seals?)

How is 30ma protection provided for the tails that will be in the wall <50mm or are they in metal trunk etc?
but OP has not said they will be buried<50mm. going through wall horizontally does not require RCD.

Ok guys, to answer a few questions....main tails are buried >50 mm in partition wall, 100A DP isolator in meter cabinet, ALL cables including tails dropping down partition.
Also I am not replacing CU, just moving it and NOT altering any circuits as length will be exactly same simply re routing cables through wall ( large hole so as not to damage cables). ALL circuits will be reconnected as before in same order.
Just to clarify, I'm quite happy to re-test whole installation but there are 17 circuits so would be labour intensive hence the difference in quotes.

If you do not provide a test certificate after the moving of the consumer unit and something happens you will be the one to blame. (i bet any insurer will not pay up if no certificate)
Any alterations, additions and even changing a light requires a certificate.

I don’t think, not issuing a certificate is on the cards.
What is being asked, is whether basic I&T on the CU would be sufficient, or would a complete I&T of the whole installation be required.

Provide a EIC. Should be the same as changing a mains board as you are effectivly disconnecting everything and reconnecting. Obviously number of points isnt going the change etc. For the sake of a cert, global IR and 8-10 R1+R2 tests to make sure your insurance is covered then i would just spend the extra hour.

Unless you did the original install, then just copy over onto a EIC.

If you didnt, you dont know if its been tested properly.

Last edited:
Correct spinlondon!!! Just need to know if I should test whole installation again? Can't see the point personally as I havn't actually touched the "installation", it is all still as it was 1 month ago when EIC issued. Only change on cert would be "location of Consumer Unit".

Reply to Fuseboard relocation....re-test required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net