Discuss Fused connection unit mounted on metal backbox in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Heidi hi :)
Ok, so I’ve bought the maintenance free junction box (rather nice bit of kit too).
I’ve had a look at BS7671 app 15 regarding rings and radials.
After inspection and identifying the cables underfloor, I have this scenario:

An existing spur has been taken from a double socket outlet on the RFC.
The spur feeds a single socket downstairs in the lounge, which only ever has a 40 lamp plugged in, and the occasional phone charger.

In regard to RFCs and spurs, as far as I can tell, would it be acceptable to remove the existing spur from the socket outlet, and replace it with a cable feeding in to a switched fused connection unit, and from the FCU feed into the maintenance free junction box.
From the junction box would be both the feed to the shed (which would only have a light, occasional vacuum cleaner and power drill used), and the cable feeding down to the socket in the lounge?

Taking diversity into account, the demand from both would be low, even at the best of times.

Thanks in advance :)
Gary

Last edited:
I try to avoid junction boxes in these situations as much as possible.
Does this RFC supply upstairs and downstairs, if so I would try to take from a socket directly.

Reply to Fused connection unit mounted on metal backbox in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello I’m going to install a hard wired 230v security camera, incorporating floodlights, outside and above garage door onto brick. An exposed...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Following on from my previous post where I received advice on taking a spur off a 40a feed (thank you). I performed the work...
Replies
Views
Just had three split Air Con units installed at my home, the ones with an indoor and outdoor unit. I (perhaps naively) trusted the installers...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm having a new boiler fitted in a new location. I need to provide power for the boiler which I'm looking to do myself. Boiler: Ideal Logic...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Back again after receiving great advice for the bathroom a few months back. This time I'm making a mess in the kitchen. We have...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock