Discuss Fused spur dilemma in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, need to run a supply to a tyre air line at a petrol station. No info on it but think its probably around a kilowatt, definitely not over 3kw.
Should probably be on its own dedicated circuit, but going to cost more.
There is a socket inside that I could spur off and save alot of extra work and materials
Is it really just good practice to keep outdoor equipment on a separate circuit rather than spurring of a ring? Prevents nuisance tripping.
Can't see anything in regs that says it's not possible to connect this type of equipment to the ring as long as it is under 3kw.
Just wanting to no what others think on situation, appreciate any replys.

If the supply is to the compressor you may be asking for trouble . Sometimes the cost is not always , but may include financial.

Yes I'm aware there is special regs when it comes to petrol forecourts that's why I don't do them.
Didn't think the airline would be a problem as long as it's located well away from pumps, which it is.
The circuit that I would be spurring of is serving the office and is on a TT installation as preferred for petrol stations. Just wanted to know was there any other limitations on spurs other than 3kw load and voltage drop.

Hello, decided to put the compressor on a separate circuit.
Able to keep cost down by using the car wash supply that is no longer in use.
Will test to make sure cable is ok.

Had thought compressor should be on its own dedicated circuit, owner pushing to take off socket to keep cost down.
Apart from it might cause fault 5 or 10years down the line and trip out sockets inside couldn't really think of any other reason why it couldn't be done. It was on a TT earthing system so no issue with tncs outdoors.
So really in this situation although not ideal you probably could connect the compressor and still comply with regs?
Or is it best to keep spurs inside regardless of earthing system?

Also just thought would it be possible the compressor motor could cause a spike in ring circuit and effect I.T equipment? Computers on that circuit,
Or would that size motor have little effect on equipment in other parts of circuit. Maybe over thinking it now.
Appreciate any replys, thanks

How are you getting from the Kiosk to the Air line without crossing the forecourt?
No need to go near forecourt. The compressor will be located near boundary of site, the old car wash feed runs parallel to boundary away from forecourt back to shop.

Bas
Do you need a spur or spurs.
Don't need any spur now, going to use cable that was used for car wash.
Just got me thinking what reasons there are for not connecting this type of load to a ring circuit.
Its under 3kw, voltage drop wouldn't have been an issue, so I think it would have meet the regs, yet most electricians would probably not be happy with this.
Think it's mainly down to good practice what do yas think?

Supposing every thing else is ok in another situation other than a filling station , depending on the size of your compressor you would have to consider the motor inrush . 3kw? +whatever else is on the RCD protected circuit.

Ok think I'm right in saying there's no set rules as to what can and can't be connected to a ring circuit, as long as loading is taken into consideration, and any other requirements for regs are met.
Basically you could get away with the compressor on a spur there's nothing to say otherwise.

Reply to Fused spur dilemma in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock