Discuss Fused spur fan in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Maddermanblue

Hi,
I'm to install an extracter fan with a timer in a a brand new shower room. I got a question.
I also bought a 6A 3 pole fan isolator from Crabtree, it included instructions with diagrams on how to wire up a timed fan, to my dismay the diagram did not include a fused spur as it was coming from the light, is that allowed/right?? Just from the ceiling rose, to the isolator then to the fan.

The instructions from the fan says it needs a 3A fused spur and thought I agree. I've got into a bit of a muddle on how to wire up the fan which is operated when pull cord is pulled both the light and fan comes on, when switched off the light goes off but the fan remains running for a few more mins and thinking how do I include a 3 fused spur and drew a diagram below. (it includes 3 core +E and Tin and earth cables.
Please advise if wrong or unsuitable... http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/fanwiring.png/
Many ThanksFan Wiring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that's really the only way, as you need bothe the L feeds, permanent and switched to the fan to be on a 3A FCU, so put the FCU before the light. 1 question, though. is the circuit RCD protected? it needs to be.

Yes it is RCD protected also added a new )RCD protected 5 way CU near the existing CU. The isolator, pull switch and fsu will be outside the shower room.

Are you sure thats only a 3 pole switch ??
There are 6A 4 pole switches on the market for isolating fans. I'm based in Ireland, but we use them all the time. Dont normally include a FSU, as they are only fused in one pole. Your wiring diagram is fine, but remember your only fusing the perm live, the switch live is unfused..

Are you sure thats only a 3 pole switch ??
There are 6A 4 pole switches on the market for isolating fans. I'm based in Ireland, but we use them all the time. Dont normally include a FSU, as they are only fused in one pole. Your wiring diagram is fine, but remember your only fusing the perm live, the switch live is unfused..

What do you isolate with the fourth pole? Earth? All a fan requires is L, SL, N and E so can't think what else you could switch. :confused:

Reply to Fused spur fan in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net