Discuss Fused unit no longer required in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just removed an old fused electrical heater fitted in the middle of the ring circuit and am now left with the hole and wiring (see pic). Ideally I want to just cover this up with a bit off plasterboard so it looks like nothing was ever there. Is it OK to do this or is this deemed unsafe? I could always turn it into a socket but there is one quite near it already so it might look a bit odd.

Would be really grateful for any replies.

Thanks

Fused unit no longer required 1499004099474-1970799398 - EletriciansForums.net

No block connectors shouldn't be used like that, they don't provide a maintenance free connection.
Your idea of making it a socket is a better way.

You can't cover it up as is you need to use maintenance free connectors, even so turn it into a socket outlet, makes sense no big deal.

Yeah I guess I was hoping not to have to do this if possible because its right in the middle of the room and so will not look great. As I say, if it's not safe just to cover it with plasterboard, I guess I'll have to make it a socket...

Go to an Electrical wholesaler and buy an Ashley 803 or similar maintenance free junction box, that will fit through the hole. Then as Lanky said, fit a blanking plate over the hole.

If you fit a blank plate the earths will need connecting to the metal back box.

It's not a plasterboard wall though? The 140mm long J803 wont fit in a single gang box!
Put stuffin Socket on the there end of , Crikey talk about making a mountain out of a Molehill

If he uses the blank plate method there's no need for maintenance free connectors. That said I'd opt for wago or thru crimps.

Reply to Fused unit no longer required in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock