Discuss G24q-2 lamp led replacement or convert to ES in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve got some outdoor lights, one of which stopped working recently. They take cfl G24q-2, 4 pin, 18w lamps, and have an electronic ballast inside. I tried replacing the lamp, to no success, so I checked for voltage at the lampholder, no voltage. I concluded the ballast is at fault, so I’m now looking into ways to put a different lamp in the light.

I did find the equivalent in LED, but they say they can be fitted into the light without removing the ballast, and my ballast isn’t working, so I assume I can’t just wire the LED replacement straight into the mains without a ballast, or can I?
If you happen to know of any replacement LED G24q-2 lamps that don’t need a ballast, please let me know. I’d prefer not to replace the ballast as they’re very expensive.

The other option I was thinking of was swapping the G24q-2 fitting for a standard ES, but the lamp would have to be thin, given the design of the light. I am aware of ‘corn’ lamps, but I’ve heard that these are very poor, although if anyone had recommendations for good ‘corn’ lamps, please could you post a link or brand?

Thanks for any replies and sorry for the long post!

Converting it to an ES would negate the need for the ballast and you could still go for a CFL of any useful wattage. I guess the ballast is there for that particular start up. Interested to hear what others come up with.

Converting it to an ES would negate the need for the ballast and you could still go for a CFL of any useful wattage. I guess the ballast is there for that particular start up. Interested to hear what others come up with.
I wont be long before they faze them out , by a new lamp
would be better .

Still energy efficient as long as they are around. Looks like the type of outdoor light that stays on so no problem with frequent switching.
I like CFLs they are just misunderstood!

The lights are on a photocell, so no frequent switching, but if I go with ES I’d rather spend money on a decent ‘corn’ LED type lamp, which will also last longer. That’s if I can find a decent one that fits the light!

@telectrix has mentioned a corn source before, wouldn’t know what thread title to search so wait for him to reply.
CFL still long lasting though and produce enough light for what you need.

Reply to G24q-2 lamp led replacement or convert to ES in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net