Discuss G39... Accessing street columns in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey all
I now work for a company that install CCTV equipment around town centres. Been a sparky 30+ yrs, 17th, testing etc.
I understand from the council they want G39 certification to even allow us into the lamp posts.
I could understand that if we were connecting the the cut-out inside or working on the live terminals, but we usually simply thread a cat5e cable down from the top to the base.
If we have needed 230v connections... we got a local sparky with G39 to connect it for us.
Do we still need the G39 to simply open the door?
Saying that... I have booked a two day course to obtain G39 (includes isolations), but with the kit I need.. it ain't cheap.
Just wondered if anyone knew?

I'm on a similar project installing micro mobile phone cells on lamp posts and have never been asked for G39.

What's the difference between the Lucy in a post and the DNO cut out in a domestic property?

One difference is only dno authorised people are allowed in their cut-outs, ordinary electricians aren't, whereas those in street lamp columns can be accessed by for example council electricians.

Hi,if it is the LA who have requested this,it is probably due to one of them "risk analysis" meetings,where they know many lamp posts are damaged/un-secured,and their insurance adviser was looking to have a degree of "inspection IQ",built in to the operatives,who may be at risk,on finding these.

Invariably,this will be a "recommendation" and although allegedly compulsory,via the contractor,i will guarantee nobody is getting hung,drawn and quartered ;)

You will,if on this job,almost certainly end up,doing more improvements and repairs to council equipment,than their own men.

Reply to G39... Accessing street columns in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock