Discuss G59 Relays??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Morgan keith

Does anyone know if G59 relays are absolutely mandatory for every system above 16A/phase? Someone has said that if you install a sunny tripower 10000TL you don't need to install a relay as it has the adequate G59 protection incorporated? I know this is a bit of a grey area but I'm hoping someone can help?

I believe it depends on the DNO. With their agreement Central Networks appear happy with G83/1 certified equipment up to 17kW single phase and 50kW 3 phase.

They have recently told me I can install a SB4000TL, which is above 16A, without any additional adjustments/equipment.

Someone else has reported that Central Networks wanted the over-frequency setting moved to the G59/2 standard in a similar circumstance.

As you indicated the whole of the Sunny tripower series has recently been certified to G59 as well as G83. Certificates are on their website.

Regards
Bruce

Thanks bruce. The DNO of the area we're looking at is SSE, but they can't give an outright answer for ANYTHING without going through the application process. The cost of the relays etc seems like alot. Would be good if everything was the same for every DNO and actually set in stone. Do you know what's involved with changing the over frequency settings?

Regards,
Morgan

I doubt you can change them on most inverters without some manufacturer's programming software. What I did not say in the previous post was that I thought that the Central Networks requirement to move the over-frequency setting was an abberration and probably not a consistent or reliable answer. It makes little sense. Either go for G83 or go for G59. That is the point of standards. Do not mix them at a whim. Part of the requirement for both G83 and G59 is that the settings are not easily adjustable. For SMA for instance you need a password from them to do it.

Just do the application process. I submitted by email to Central Networks and got a reply back a week later, valid for 60 days.

Regards
Bruce

Can anyone tell me if I need to fit anything additional eg a relay to a PV system including a Fronius IG Plus 70 6.5kW Inverter? This would be my first sytem over 4kW.
Thanks

I do not know the inverter, but from a quick google it is 2 phase at <16A per phase and therefore falls within the G83 fit-then-inform regime.

Regards
Bruce

Thanks for the response.
My understanding is that it can also be fitted to a single phase, which I was proposing to do. Apparently it has aa G59 certificate, does this mean that it does not need any additional equipment eg relays?

Thanks for the response.
My understanding is that it can also be fitted to a single phase, which I was proposing to do. Apparently it has aa G59 certificate, does this mean that it does not need any additional equipment eg relays?

Looking at the website, the Fronius has a G59/2 certificate and therefore will not need any additional relay. However it is worrying you are asking this question because to fit it you will need to have asked the permission of the DNO and that normally requires that you have submitted the application form with a copy of the relevant certificate already.

Regards
Bruce

If it helps we have just had the go ahead for a 5KWp system from Western Power Distribution which reads as follows;

".............at single phase via G59/2 type tested inverters and G83/1 type tested inverters, provided the upper frequency limit of the protection relay is set at 51.5Hz. All other conditions of ENA Engineering Recommendations G59/2 will apply."

I am reading this to say that we don't need an external G59 relay on a G59/2 inverter or a G83/1 inverter (provided we much around with the protection settings). We are looking at an SB 5000TL and based on the comment earlier we will need a password to change those protection settings.

Any opinions/views welcome!

Looking at the website, the Fronius has a G59/2 certificate and therefore will not need any additional relay. However it is worrying you are asking this question because to fit it you will need to have asked the permission of the DNO and that normally requires that you have submitted the application form with a copy of the relevant certificate already.

Regards
Bruce
No need to worry as I'm only at very early planning stage!

Reply to G59 Relays??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net