Discuss galv conduit in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

grumpyjohn01

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, just canvassing opinion re the use of galv conduit in a special location ie bathroom. Cant think of any particular reason why not, my main q being, what could the IP rating be considered as if it were to pass through zones 2 or even 1? I mean a continuous run with no joints through zone 1 surely must be fine? but would IP requirements be met for say an end box mounted luminaire in zone 2? The rest of the flat is being done in galv as an aesthetic request by client (!) and because all floors walls and ceilings are in precast reinforced concrete or engineering brick with no plaster being applied. Thoughts please!! cheers John

you probably wouldnt..if you had a choice but the flat is an odd layout and a conversion from a commercial building and I am not sure what the containment layout will look like yet, so I am just throwing out some possibilities .. I will avoid it entering zone 1 if at all possible but a luminaire in zone 2 is pretty likely

My thoughts too somerset, just was curious as to what the IP rating could be considered as. Also it is possible the client will want a shower circuit wired in this way so the containment up to the shower will be in zone 1 potentially with threaded joints unless I can figure a way to enter the enclosure without a threaded joint.

You are allowed to run metal containment through all zones whether they are supplying equipment in the zones or not, the IP ratings for the various zones are given in 701.512.2 .

Be aware though, they (metal containment) must be included in any supplementary bonding arrangement, or bonded back to the MET where supplementary may be omitted (RCD, MPB etc...etc.).

I think the conduit should be fine for a ceiling fitting in zone 1 or 2, after all, metal conduit systems are used externally. The shower might be a pain, but you could enter from below with a nice decorative formed U bend. IPX4 should be acheived by a properly made threaded joint, but I don't mind being corrected on this.

I would make sure of no exposed threads, possibly use PTFE tape on the threads to help seal, use galv spray/paint round the joints to help prevent the inevitable rust, and seal entries with waterseal compound.

Sounds like an interesting install to do, let us know how it goes.

Didn't think you where allowed to run cables through a zone 0 or 1 if they are not for equipment in those zones or am I getting mixed up with something else?

Nothing stopping you, so long as they are suitable for the environment, minimum IP ratings etc. see reg 701.512.2 for suitable IP ratings, GN7 is where it says you can run the metal containment through.

Be aware though, they (metal containment) must be included in any supplementary bonding arrangement, or bonded back to the MET where supplementary may be omitted (RCD, MPB etc...etc.).

nice call !

Andy 78 said:

Bang on the money.

Properly constructed steel conduit is at least IP44 , more than adequate for a domestic bathroom.
and you can bet your bottom dollar that prison / military shower areas are done in steel conduit ;-)

The shower might be a pain, but you could enter from below with a nice decorative formed U bend. IPX4 should be acheived by a properly made threaded joint, but I don't mind being corrected on this.

I would make sure of no exposed threads, possibly use PTFE tape on the threads to help seal, use galv spray/paint round the joints to help prevent the inevitable rust, and seal entries with waterseal compound.

Sounds like an interesting install to do, let us know how it goes.

kind of what I was thinking, will have to examine the unit & suss out a reasonable way. Am actually looking forward to this one , have done plenty of metal munching on other jobs will be a laugh to do a domestic like this

For galvanised conduit to be used in a domestic setting like this, it'll need to be a top notch installation, to be as you say ''Aesthetically Pleasing''!! So i hope your containment and measurement skills are up to the job. lol!! I can see it being a real ball buster getting this type of installation right. What you need to try and avoid, is any conduit crossovers... Wish you luck!! lol!!

Reply to galv conduit in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net