Discuss Garage consumer unit rcd trips out in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gave me a invoice which simply says tested garage electrical sytsem.
i was there all the time whilst he was testing it.
used a clamp meter and another device of some sort which he can put up to 500 volts on the system etc if that makes sense .

used a clamp meter and another device of some sort which he can put up to 500 volts on the system etc if that makes sense .
Did the "Electrician" carry out any tests on the RCD in question ?
he said he tested the rcd and it worked fine and is ok .....

When I do such fault finding I give a more detailed description of the tests under taken AND the results of such tests.....

This is helpful for you, the tester if they come back, or a subsequent sparky - and is especially relevant if you don't isolate the cause of the problem.

The two of the six are they wired so they both switch together on two way from each door have I interpreted this correctly? And is it a correct statement that it is only when you switch this bank of 2
lights it trips the RCD

he said he tested the rcd and it worked fine and is ok .....
So no certificate issued, where did this electrician come from? Dodge City. Seems like you have had the wool pulled over your eyes Mate.

W

So no certificate issued, where did this electrician come from? Dodge City. Seems like you have had the wool pulled over your eyes Mate.
what certificate would he issue? Should at least give you a report.

W

An EICR of some sort for that particular circuit, or at the least a report with readings as you rightly pointed out. Although it would be fairly simple to issue an EICR for the circuit in question, may be OTT but at least it would show some pride in the Electricians testing regime, may not be the document the IET prescribe, but then there are no certs for repairs / fault finding is there, remember it's been a while since I was working, so there may have been changes, what sort of paperwork do you all use when you get called for a fault? if there is nothing then maybe something the IET should look at. Grateful for any thoughts.

Last edited:
W

You OK Ant? not heard from "camerbloke" for a while either, maybe hes has gone away for the weekend. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

Yes thanks, Pete very busy compleating NCC William Knibb job then having a week off then onto a new church end of Birchfield Road.

Do these two lights that are 2 way switched together trip out the RCD with the other lights off?
Yes one of them did .so i swapped it over from one at the front of the garage and the other one to the one at the back of the garage taking them both off this 2 way circuit.
Made no difference it still trips the rcd with the light swapped over.
So my hunch is now they all have live supply going to them regardless of the switch and its the discharge going back to earth from one of them causing the rcd to trip out

Reply to Garage consumer unit rcd trips out in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock