Discuss Garage Installation - Part P Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sul

Hi all!

This is my first post on the forum so forgive me if this is the wrong section :) I've recently finished my first year at college doing an Electrical Installations evening course and I now feel competent to add a circuit into the garage at my dads house. I will be putting a CU in there, fed by a SWA cable as practiced in college.

Now my dad being the home owner and all is now questioning regulations on me adding a new circuit in. There used to be one in there but it had been cut off before we moved into the house and now we want electricity in there. I've read on the internet that it will need to be certified under Part P regulations or it is a criminal offence. I know what I'm doing but I don't want to break any laws, however small the likeliness of being caught.

What do you suggest I do?

You have 3 legal options:

1. Join a scheme and register the work as yours

2. Contact LABC and pay them for the necessary

3. Contact a local registered spark and pay them to do the work

You clearly know you want to break the law and I should remind you that pleading ignorance in the Court or Law is NO defence.

legally, it's your dad's responsibility to notify LABC under part pee. he can either do as murdoch suggests, or take the chance that the part pee police will come knocking and transport him to australia. there's more chance of paul m supplying the bisciuts.

legally, it's your dad's responsibility to notify LABC under part pee. he can either do as murdoch suggests, or take the chance that the part pee police will come knocking and transport him to australia. there's more chance of paul m supplying the bisciuts.

And your responsibility as a responsible trader to inform him.

And your responsibility as a responsible trader to inform him.

Really?

Do I have to inform a driver they are exceeding the speed limit as a responsible driver?
Do I have to inform some one is not allowed to purchase cigarettes for the underage kids stood outside the corner shop as a responsible member of the public?

Think he means morally.

Not how I read the 2013 version:

"
Notification of work
Most building work and material changes of use must be notified to a building control body unless
one of the following applies.
a. It is work that will be self-certified by a registered competent person or certified by a registered
third party.
b. It is work exempted from the need to notify by regulation 12(6A) of, or Schedule 4 to, the
Building Regulations.

Responsibility for compliance

People who are responsible for building work (for example, the agent, designer, builder or installer)
must ensure that the work complies with all applicable requirements of the Building Regulations.
The building owner may also be responsible for ensuring that work complies with the Building
Regulations. If building work does not comply with the Building Regulations, the building owner may
be served with an enforcement notice.

"
General
For notifiable electrical installation work, one of the following three procedures must be used to
certify that the work complies with the requirements set out in the Building Regulations.

a. Self-certification by a registered competent person
b. Third-party certification by a registered third-party certifier
c. Certification by a building control body
To verify that the design and installation of electrical work is adequate, and that installations will be
safe to use, maintain and alter, the electrical work should be inspected and tested in accordance
with the procedures in BS 7671
NOTE:
Electrical inspection and test forms should be given to the person ordering the work.
Building Regulations certificates should normally be given to the occupier, but in the case of rented
properties may be given to the person ordering the work and copied to the occupier

Hi mate
2. NICEIC and Elecsa are not willing to accept you carrying out notification of 3rd party's work unless you subby and carry out the work with or for them as I asked last year
Part P say YES Scams say NO to 3rd party certification, but building control would probably accept a EICR with any remedial work undertaken to rectify any issues
That's clear as mud then

I agree with Murdoch what people don't realize is they carry out the work all ok something goes wrong then not only do you have to answer to a guy with a funny wig ,but also you may well end up with the insurance not paying out , I would not even contemplate a job without PL insurance , my advice would be speak to a local contractor and see if you could work along side them for the job, not only will you learn but you'll also be supervised and have a spark to test and notify , just ask the question they can only say no

Hi all!

This is my first post on the forum so forgive me if this is the wrong section :) I've recently finished my first year at college doing an Electrical Installations evening course and I now feel competent to add a circuit into the garage at my dads house. I will be putting a CU in there, fed by a SWA cable as practiced in college.

Now my dad being the home owner and all is now questioning regulations on me adding a new circuit in. There used to be one in there but it had been cut off before we moved into the house and now we want electricity in there. I've read on the internet that it will need to be certified under Part P regulations or it is a criminal offence. I know what I'm doing but I don't want to break any laws, however small the likeliness of being caught.

What do you suggest I do?
Never mind Part P for a minute.
So you've done a year at college and feel competent to do this job.
What experiance have you had in the real world off electrics.
What testing experiance do you have , do you own any test equipment and
understand how it works and the results you may get.
Can you explain what assesments of the existing intallation you need to make to see if it is safe to carry out this job.
Do need to go on.

Really?

Do I have to inform a driver they are exceeding the speed limit as a responsible driver?
Do I have to inform some one is not allowed to purchase cigarettes for the underage kids stood outside the corner shop as a responsible member of the public?

Could this be classed as grooming in today's culture?

i thought grooming was for horses.

Reply to Garage Installation - Part P Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock