Discuss garage PIR with over-ride switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I have 2 x Steinel PIR's, (one each end of garage) an isolating switch for supply to PIR's and an over-ride switch to keep light on (while in garden & beyond range of PIR) & of course the light fitting. I think the PIR should be wired in parallel but cannot work out the rest. Please would someone assist me by providing a clear wiring diagram. I have twin & earth and 3 core & earth cable. Thank you.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Without explaining the project further it is difficult to reply, are the PIR's to do the same job ie bring on the same light(s)?

Can you please give us some idea to your electrical knowledge as this also helps members reply to suit, where we deem some jobs to be suitable DIY projects we also may advice in certain circumstances that it may be advisable to bring a professional in, can you please show your thoughts as to how it could be wired in a diagram etc as this allows us to gauge your understanding and is easier to correct you if required.

Thank you for your prompt reply. The one light is to be controlled by two PIR (one at each end of the garage) so whichever direction one approaches from, light will come on. To avoid being in darkness when PIR's turns off light (because movement in garden may be outside range of PIR's) a switch will override the PIR & leave light on while I'm in garden. Once leave garden, switch off to reinstate control to PIR's. I have no electrical qualifications (I'm retired mechanical engineer) but have basic understanding of electrics having run swa cable from dedicated breaker in main CU to garage CU with main switch & separate breakers for sockets & lights & wired in garage radial sockets & led lighting with 2 way switching. This is part of renovation project of main dwelling although a qualified electrician has completed wiring in dwelling, I'm saving labour costs by running cables in garage. All fixed wiring will be certified, once project complete. Wiring diagram attached (shows two lights whereas I have one light & two PIR (wired in parallel with 3 core & earth) although not sure how to incorporate over ride switch into circuitry. My PIR's are separate standalone units, not incorporated with halogen lamp as shown in diagram so new diagram of wiring showing separate PIR, lamp, over-ride switch & isolation switch would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
pir wiring.jpg

what i would do is to run a 3 core/E to the PIRs, daisy chained. then from your switch position, using a 2 gang switch, 1 for isolation ( all off) and 1 to override the PIRs, then just T/E or 3 core flex to each light. (

A chippy I was working along side yesterday showed me the scars he has for life because he was holding the bare ends of a cable when somebody else turned the circuit breaker back on .................... nasty to say the least and he was off work for 6 weeks

OP - if you were near me, I'd offer to come and do the work for payment ............... but I'm not self employed and giving my skill and expertise away for free.

You say it wil be "certified" so why not get said spark to do the work too?

Reply to garage PIR with over-ride switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net