Discuss Garage Sockets Regulations in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So why would a board change be notifiable? Essentially all you are doing is changing the OCPD a handful of times.
Not sure of the reasons, but in the case discussed only one circuit is being altered, looking at the "Wiring Matters article" changing a CU does not constitute any Minor Works, their words not mine,

You do not have to change from radial to ring.
You do not have to change the MCB from 16A to 32A.
What you do have to do, is provide RCD protection for the new sockets.
This can be by using RCD sockets, swapping the 16A MCB for an RCBO, installing an RCD before the garage CU or by providing RCD protection at the house.
Dare I ask what the OCPD is for the garage submain?

Dare I ask what the OCPD is for the garage submain?
I will check this out since I'm not sure whether it is from an OCPD in the house CU.

You do not have to change from radial to ring.
You do not have to change the MCB from 16A to 32A.
What you do have to do, is provide RCD protection for the new sockets.
This can be by using RCD sockets, swapping the 16A MCB for an RCBO, installing an RCD before the garage CU or by providing RCD protection at the house.

Thank you for all the above, it's much appreciated.
I'm going to extend the radial with four additional D/Skts.
After ascertaining whether the garage supply from the house is from an OCPD or the garage CU has its own inbuilt, I'll exchange the 16A mcb for a 16A RCBO.
The garage CU shows RCCB protected 63A 30mA. I will check this out but read this as being adequately protected?

Thank you for all the above, it's much appreciated.
I'm going to extend the radial with four additional D/Skts.
After ascertaining whether the garage supply from the house is from an OCPD or the garage CU has its own inbuilt, I'll exchange the 16A mcb for a 16A RCBO.
The garage CU shows RCCB protected 63A 30mA. I will check this out but read this as being adequately protected?
Dare I ask what size cable you will be using, and what method of installation, if the house CU has RCD protection and the Garage feed is coming from a cb on the RCD side of th CU (assuming it's not an amd 3CU) then all you need do is change the cb in the CU for a 20A, you don't want to go sticking RCDs Willy Nilly all over the shop, If as you mention the garage CU has an RCD then you will be covered. More than 1 RCD in the same circuit will only cause tripping problems.

In fairness to hightower there is certainly a train of thought that altering the protective device makes it no longer minor works (or suitable for a MEIWC) and that you are essentially creating a new circuit (although all/most of it has already been wired).

Old? The coals are permanently warm!
NICEIC never off the burner, simmering in the background.
In fairness to hightower there is certainly a train of thought that altering the protective device makes it no longer minor works (or suitable for a MEIWC) and that you are essentially creating a new circuit (although all/most of it has already been wired).
It's a difficult one this, although whilst I understand HT's thinking, it's still just an alteration, you could say you are creating a new circuit if you add, say 3 more twin sockets to a radial with just 1 original socket, I going to stick with MNWC, as an altered circuit, sorry HT.

I wish you lot would get all emotional when I talk out my ****, as I often do :)

I seem to recall I made a similar blunder last year, on this very subject. Which resulted in outright commendation & derision (you took the mick). But least I had the strong moral character (get used to looking a ----), and post the reply back from my scheme (document #15) o_O

I wish you lot would get all emotional when I talk out my ****, as I often do :)

I seem to recall I made a similar blunder last year, on this very subject. Which resulted in outright commendation & derision (you took the mick). But least I had the strong moral character (get used to looking a ****), and post the reply back from my scheme (document #15) o_O
When do you ever talk out of your backside?

Quite often I wake up in the morning Pete, particularly at weekends, and can't remember making the remarks in a post from the night before. :eek:

I reckon someone's hacked my account and making spurious remarks. I think that's 'wear' or all those bad grammars things come from, that sparksburntout picks me up on.

Last edited:
Quite often I wake up in the morning Pete, particularly at weekends, and can't remember making the remarks in a post from the night before. :eek:

I reckon someone's hacked my account and making spurious remarks. I think that's 'wear' or those bad grammars things come from, that sparksburntout picks me up on.
You're lucky, I sometimes can't remember what I said 5 minutes ago, who are you and what do you want?

xcuse my ignerrrence, but wat is a forum?

Reply to Garage Sockets Regulations in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net