Discuss Garage Sockets Regulations in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GN3 p110 gives an example of an MEIWC being used when replacing a circuit breaker with an RCBO of the same rating (as well as some lighting points being added to the circuit in the example). If I was changing the rating or type of the OCPD, I personally would use an EIC but I can see the argument for using a MEIWC. Converting a radial circuit to an RFC, I would definitely use an EIC.

GN3 p110 gives an example of an MEIWC being used when replacing a circuit breaker with an RCBO of the same rating (as well as some lighting points being added to the circuit in the example). If I was changing the rating or type of the OCPD, I personally would use an EIC but I can see the argument for using a MEIWC. Converting a radial circuit to an RFC, I would definitely use an EIC.
Why? you would be altering or adding to an existing circuit, making work for yourself there Steve, sorry but I disagree with your logic on the Radial to Ring scenario.

Why, why, why would any one bother with an EIC when a MWC would do............ are you mad.............
No comment. I plead the 5th amendment, or should that be the 3rd, anyway Steve obviously has his reasons, who am I to question that, either way it's certified, but I agree with you , WHY.

Why? you would be altering or adding to an existing circuit, making work for yourself there Steve, sorry but I disagree with your logic on the Radial to Ring scenario.
Hi Pete, obviously it goes without saying that there's no problem at all with disagreeing, I was very clear in saying it's what I would do, not what others should do! :)

My reasoning for not using a MEIWC for converting a radial to an RFC is that the current minor works form does not include space for the details for the proper testing of RFCs... although... I suppose you could say that if you're adding another socket to an RFC (extending the ring, not adding a spur) you would need to confirm r1, r2 and rn as well; and I guess you could always write it elsewhere on the form. Just generally looking at what the stated purpose of a MEIWC is, and the examples given, make me think that the two examples stated - changing the OCPD for one of a different type or rating, or converting a radial to a ring - fall outside the intended scope. It's not something I feel strongly about what other people do at all. If someone said, "I'd happily use a MEIWC for converting a radial to a ring," I'd say, "Fair enough, up to you." :)

I note the new MEIWC in the 18th Edition draft for public consultation includes extra bits you need to put in, including r1, r2 and rn. The changes have not been popular with those commenting!

I agree with the principle of not making extra work for yourself. Perhaps as I gain more experience my views will change on this matter. :)

My reasoning for not using a MEIWC for converting a radial to an RFC is that the current minor works form does not include space for the details for the proper testing of RFCs

There isn't anywhere on the MEIWC to record any continuity of CPC readings, there is only a tick box to confirm that the test has been carried out with a satisfactory result.
Just because there isn't a designated space to write the results it doesn't mean you can't carry out the test!

There is a big blank space where you could record such information if you so,wished however.

Garage Sockets Regulations image - EletriciansForums.net

There isn't anywhere on the MEIWC to record any continuity of CPC readings, there is only a tick box to confirm that the test has been carried out with a satisfactory result.
Just because there isn't a designated space to write the results it doesn't mean you can't carry out the test!

There is a big blank space where you could record such information if you so,wished however.

View attachment 37613
Perhaps he uses the niceic model forms which have a R1+R2 box to record your results and also a R2 box

View attachment 37613

Fair play for the effort of uploading that screen shot. :)

View attachment 37613
I agree entirely, with all aspects of your reply. :) In fact I would go further... I would say, "Just because there isn't a designated space to write the results it doesn't mean you shouldn't carry out the test!"

I wasn't talking about earth continuity tests. I was talking about the [extra] tests required for the proper testing of RFCs. And I agree with your last sentence... as I said originally, "... and I guess you could always write it elsewhere on the form."

Tick sheets are useful, as you don't have to remember what you are supposed to inspect.
One of my pet bugs though, is this need some people have, to fill in all the boxes on the schedule of test results.

Reply to Garage Sockets Regulations in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock