Discuss Garage supply using PME or earth rod. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening gents, just seeking a little advice. Recently bought a new place, it has mostly been rewired, its on a TN-CS system. The garage which is approx a 40m run from the house is supplied by a 2.5mm cable believe it or not, it is donkeys years old. This supplies a 2 way rcd board in the garage, the wiring in the garage is all new T&E, which supplies a few lights and socket outlet.

Going to run a new 10mm SWA 3core armoured from the board, some of which will be clipped to a fence and some burried. Going to put this on a 40amp RCBO. With regards to the earthing arrangement in the garage, would it be sufficient to use the earth from the MET, or do you think it would be better to have it off an earth rod. Just thinking distance wise, might be better off with the second option. Thanks in advance. I am a qualified electrician, just have a been out the game for a couple of years.

and why 10mm if you only want 40A? surely if you're going to the expense of 10mm, bung it on a 63A.and use the PME. your 10mm cpc is adequate for bonding. fuse at supply end. then MCBs at garage.

A fence is a fixed structure, it's new, concrete posts, concrete gravel boards, it won't be coming down very easily or anytime soon. Not converting the garage into a room, however I am sizing up for the length of the run 40m), volt drop etc and anything to be added to the garage down the line. I am aware that you don't have to have an SWA on rcd protection, I just prefer prefer to protect the armoured running to the garage.

and why 10mm if you only want 40A? surely if you're going to the expense of 10mm, bung it on a 63A.and use the PME. your 10mm cpc is adequate for bonding. fuse at supply end. then MCBs at garage.

Thanks telectrix, sounds like a good solution, 63a rcbo at the supply of the swa, switch the rcd in the garage board with a main fuse.

10mm volt drop = 4.4mV/A/m. At 40m run, assuming there are lights in the garage (so 3% i.e. 6.9V max) then:

max Ib = (6.9 x 1000) / (4.4 x 40) = 39.2A

(not allowing for the volt drop contribution of (R1+Rn) and Ib of the lighting circuit in the garage, though likely to be small).

10mm volt drop = 4.4mV/A/m. At 40m run, assuming there are lights in the garage (so 3% i.e. 6.9V max) then:

max Ib = (6.9 x 1000) / (4.4 x 40) = 39.2A

(not allowing for the volt drop contribution of (R1+Rn) and Ib of the lighting circuit in the garage, though likely to be small).
Yeah 40amp rcbo then, thought initially 40amp. Cheers for your input, you've all been really helpful

Thanks telectrix, sounds like a good solution, 63a rcbo at the supply of the swa, switch the rcd in the garage board with a main fuse.
NO. 63A fuse at supply end. RCD protection and MCBs in garage.

A fence is not a permanent structure in the eyes of insurance companies.

A fence is a fixed structure, it's new, concrete posts, concrete gravel boards, it won't be coming down very easily or anytime soon. Not converting the garage into a room, however I am sizing up for the length of the run 40m), volt drop etc and anything to be added to the garage down the line. I am aware that you don't have to have an SWA on rcd protection, I just prefer prefer to protect the armoured running to the garage.

A fence is not a permanent structure in the eyes of insurance companies.
Nor is a shed (usually). I'm wondering, when wiring up a shed, would you recommend we use skyhooks or witchcraft as a method of support for the wiring system? I've looked in OSG Appendix D, and can find no reference to either.

I don’t even think you can get a 63amp rcbo btw
Don't recall ever using or seeing one, but you can get them for sure like here.

I'd be surprised if Hager and other big manufacturers don't do them, although they would charge handsomely for them no doubt

No, it’s not. This post is however about a permanent structure.

Although what the op proposes is a bodge no matter what.

Nor is a shed (usually). I'm wondering, when wiring up a shed, would you recommend we use skyhooks or witchcraft as a method of support for the wiring system? I've looked in OSG Appendix D, and can find no reference to either.

Reply to Garage supply using PME or earth rod. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock