Discuss Garage wireing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Paul shiel

im in a brand new build and paid for mains into the garage, I've discovered the builder has spurred off the back of one of the front room sockets, through the back of the wall to an external junction and to the consumer unit in the garage. If something causes a trip in the garage The consumer unit in the garage doesn't trip but the front room sockets do!
I know the theory behind this is ok but I'm trying to find out if this is legal practice,as it'll be a big deal to get them to change it

Bad design. 2 RCDs in series of the same type, the one furthest upstream almost always trips due to a reason someone cleverer them me will explain.

Loose the one in the garage or design the circuit correctly so the garage sub main doesn't require RCD protection.

Complain.

Yes, poor design and can create inconvenience. I believe it is likely to be within the regulations, so it's likely not a defect. Whether it has been installed correctly is a different thing. Anyway, to improve it the cable to the garage would need to be replaced and run from the house consumer unit in SWA (say) so it doesn't need RCD as LeeH has said. Just guessing, but it may be a day's work. Do you have any commercial leverage perhaps?

The problem is that that some companies sell "garage" boards which have a RCD main switch..... Which isn't ideal when most house units have rcd's too.

Obviously not designed or installed by a competent spark.

Im in a similar situation. However mine doesn't cause any problems.

I purchase one of those 2 way garage CU. it has RCD with 2 mcb's.

A SWA armour is fed to this board from an rcbo .

Iv done RCD tests to see which trips and it's always the garage. If the rcbo in the house trips at any point I'll just change it to a mcb on the non RCD side of the board

Iv done RCD tests to see which trips and it's always the garage. If the rcbo in the house trips at any point I'll just change it to a mcb on the non RCD side of the board

I would be amazed if the garage always trips first.... Have you checked the one in the house?

Poor design

Better still change the RCD in the Garage for an Isolator, simples

I would be amazed if the garage always trips first.... Have you checked the one in the house?

Poor design

Yeh checked. It's fine.

I know its not an ideal situation but it's my garage and I know about it and it doesn't bother me. I certainly wouldn't do that design for a customer. It was only because the board I got was very cheap and it had an RCD already included.

I can't talk, mine's the same :rolleyes:
Lazy bee : I should stop chatting and go fix, or I can have more tea and cake ...

Hum.... Change supply to mcb, change rcd in garage board to isolator and fit rcbo for garage sockets. This way when the garage rcbo trips, the lights stay on!
it's changing to MCB that is his problem, as the feed is taken from a RCD protected RFC.

Reply to Garage wireing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock