Discuss Garage wiring unsafe and not earthed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a two storey garage with supply from house. On closer inspection I saw that the main supply in was not earthed at the junction box and neither was the light switch(feeding three lights), there is also a double socket in the garage not earthed either. I have ripped out all the wiring and junction box and light switch and double socket. I was hoping to rewire it myself, I know how to wire it all up but would like some advice on junction boxes and want to run a fridge and tumble dryer off double socket too. any advice will be welcome, if Im not confident enough I will obviously get a professional in.

As murdoch said, if the house in Tncs, they could have TT'd the Garage, you might have just ripped everything out for nothing.

the main supply in was connected to the junction box by live and neutral, the earth wire in the triple core wasn't connected to anything.
What type of cable is feeding the garage?

Hi mate. Are you saying there were no earth wires to any of the sockets or light fittings in the garage?

As murdoch said, if the house in Tncs, they could have TT'd the Garage, you might have just ripped everything out for nothing.

Could that be dangerous as the local earth could be at a different potential to N? Or does it depend on the installation being check for that after install?

Were the lights and sockets run in metal conduit?

Hi mate.
Why did you rip out all the fixing, if just the wiring was faulty?
As @Pete999 asked, what type of cable is feeding the garage. Is it twin & earth?
Where does this cable wire to? Your CU?
How does this cable get from its source to the garage?
Does your CU have an RCD?

Triple core what? If it’s armoured cable then the armour will more than likely be the earth, not the third core, it it has been glanded correctly

@Pete999 and myself have asked what type of cable it is. Just waiting for the OP to reply mate.
Also according to the OP none of the sockets or lights were earthed.

Could that be dangerous as the local earth could be at a different potential to N? Or does it depend on the installation being check for that after install?

Your next step is to find a local friendly spark to come and determine what precisely is going on .......................making any further changes isn't a sensible course of action.

Reply to Garage wiring unsafe and not earthed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net