Discuss Garden Lighting Setup Advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TeraPatrick

Hello,

I have little electrical experience so am looking for some advice on a garden lighting project I have on. Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to help me.

I want to install a 240V floodlight I have bought at the top of my garden.

I have bought some shielded cable which I intend to run from a connection box in my kitchen out through the wall into the earth and buried 18" to my shed, where I intend to terminate it in a weatherproof box. I then intend another length of shielded cable out of the shed and up a tree to the light. I want to use the junction box in case I decide to run another light at some point to a different part of the garden. I intend to wire it into the ring circuit in the kitchen using 2.5 twin and Earth.

kitchen ring Junction Box (indoor) Shielded Cable (buried) IP65 Junction Box Shielded Cable FloodLight
--------------------- | ---------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------|

My items:
FloodLight
Shielded Cable
Junction box for shed
Glands

I would appreciate anyone pointing out if:-

- If the Junction Box in the kitchen is fused (13Amp ?) is that ok or do I need to run the Shielded Cable coming into the kitchen into a new RCD
- I'm on the right track
- anything missing from my list
- any other advice appreciated

Your idea isnt a million miles off. Fit a switched fuse connection unit, and a 5 amp fuse in the bit in your kitchen this will fuse down the light properly. My only other concern are.

1, is the circuit rcd protected?
2, have you done the voltage drop calculation for the length of the cable?

Cheers..........Howard

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your comments/advice.

1, is the circuit rcd protected?
2, have you done the voltage drop calculation for the length of the cable?

Well in answer to 1.
I'm not sure.
If the ring in the kitchen terminates at the main consumer box and can trip I assume this means that it is protected. Am I correct in thinking that in most 'typical' houses in the UK the rings terminate in separate RCD's that are housed in the main consumer box?

Hmm, my lack of electrical knowledge shows now - perhaps I had better get a professional in.
The run from the kitchen connection to the weatherproof box in the shed will be about 12 meters. Does a 'long' run mean that the voltage that you end up with at the far end may not be enough to power the light?

Thanks
Jon

when you say " shielded cable " do you mean steel wire armoured ( SWA )///???? and if so what size is it???

Reply to Garden Lighting Setup Advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net