Discuss Garden Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mark80

-
Reaction score
Hi, I'm basically installing a single weatherproof socket in a garden for a pond pump, and I'm wondering if there are any sockets with a stake attached, to knock it in the ground, in situations where there is no permanent fixing point? Just wondering what people have done in this scenario and whether they just made their own stake.

The clue is in the name of what you are installing. Part of the fixed wiring system. The mounting for this socket needs to be solid and permanent, I doubt any socket-with-a-stake would be suitable even if you did find one.

The mounting you end up with will depend on the conditions you are putting it in and the aesthetics.

Very common on the Continent and in the US....I have seen them in the UK but they can never be as good as a proper fixing with a protected supply. Needs to be RCD protected, with armoured or conduit supply cable and a properly IP-rated socket and cover.

I have used 4" wooden posts before, but concreted in, not on a stake. There's no stake which would give you a proper fixed structure.

Is there no nearby wall or building/shed?

Last edited:
like these things....:

Garden-Power-Spike-2-Sockets_large.jpg

but you wouldn`t...would you....

and as has been said here already....its just effectively an extention....
you would at least be using an SY with this.....but you just know it`l be a bit of flex that was found lying about....and probably a 2 core at that...lol..

Thanks for the replies guys! Na Glenn, I wasn't thinking of that as it would blow over with the slightest breeze haha! And I'm using SWA to the socket outlet, wouldnt use anything less! The nearest permanant fixing point is some decking but it means trailing the cable for the pump, a bit longer than I'd like to. Looks like I will have to knock in a small fence post, just within the plants around the edge of the pond and fix the socket to that. Just keeps the socket within an acceptable location for the pump, without having a flex trailed about.

Reply to Garden Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net