Discuss Gas Safe- Electrical Connections in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

^^ why would any one diy their own boiler ..... madness

Well I've done it twice, all be it a long time ago. In my first house in 1976, and my second house in 1983. There were no prohibitive laws then, in fact you could phone the gas board (as it was then) and ask to speak to a technical officer if you had any problems. I found them most helpful on the couple of times I phoned.

Interesting that the DIY sheds still sell boilers and gas fires and other bits to anyone with no questions asked.

As far as I am aware all modern boilers have a safety switch which prevents ignition if the fan is either not running or not providing sufficient air flow.
even more modern, mostly the condensing boilers have a premix burner with a zero governor which means that the gas is delivered directly based on the air rate. so if the flue is blocked, no gas will be delivered so it won't light.
That is partly why part of the safety checks is to gas rate the boiler on max, which helps to ensure there's no restriction in the combustion path

Thank you to those who provided informative insight into the wiring of a boiler. I too have wired up & investigated boilers for plumbers in the past for fault finding but unaware of any seals. So...common sense would tell me that manufacturers or BS standards should change to allow pre-wired flex from PCB to an electrical box that can be connected without removing the sealed boiler cover..as someone mentioned clearly a design failure!!

Just to add another conundrum into the mix...I had wired up an s plan for a plumber mate the other week, made all electrical connections to boiler, closed up the panel that encloses all the electrical bits, and he started to commision the boiler. Next thing I know, hes had to remove the cover to the electrical connections in order to press the button to kick the boiler into diagnostic mode, so burner would run at max so he could gas rate the thing! What a rubbish design! Cover all marked up isolate before removing etc, yet boiler must be powered for service button to work!

Just to add another conundrum into the mix...I had wired up an s plan for a plumber mate the other week, made all electrical connections to boiler, closed up the panel that encloses all the electrical bits, and he started to commision the boiler. Next thing I know, hes had to remove the cover to the electrical connections in order to press the button to kick the boiler into diagnostic mode, so burner would run at max so he could gas rate the thing! What a rubbish design! Cover all marked up isolate before removing etc, yet boiler must be powered for service button to work!

Worcester Ri series

Just my thoughts, but manufacturer is providing the best safety warning sticker it knows. A trained and authorised professional should recognise the hazards without the sticker, but plenty of others don't. If they do take the cover off hopefully they will be safe and it won't matter if they press that button :) .

Reply to Gas Safe- Electrical Connections in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net