Discuss Generator for Santa ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Holdyerplums

If we use a small generator to power existing (fitted in 1940's) chrissy lights on a made up sleigh onto which children will be stepping in order to collect their Santa sweeties, we will be earthing the chassis and using a ground spike to ensure there is no potential difference between the mass of earth and the chassis of the sleigh. Is it acceptable to fit connectors (such as those used for disconnecting the battery on a boat or small stacker truck) so that easy connection/disconnection can be achieved or do I need to interlink it so that the generator will not run until the earth connection is made ?

PAT test it and it will likely fail. Ask your insurance company and they will tell you not to use it, most likely.

If you are determined to use these lights could you use a BS1361 plug in RCD to provide protection against possible electric shock? Just a thought.

Sorry - should have made myself clearer - the generator does have a 30mA RCD & the 1940's christmas lights is a bit tongue in cheek - more like 1990's.

Reply to Generator for Santa ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Recently passed my AM2, so im fresh out there with a lot to learn. Recently moved into a house that needs re-wiring. All lights in house...
Replies
Views
Hi, I purchased a new build a few weeks ago which has a cable running from a switch near the back door to a small round enclosure on the outside...
Replies
Views
Hi. I am off grid, UK. There is no grid tie or connection and there is currently no potential for connection. Background: I use a Honda EU10i for...
Replies
Views
Those involved with ev charger installs will be aware that we should carry out a site / pre works survey to ascertain the current max load with...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock