Discuss Generator supply help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

maffa ent

Morning!

I've asked to sort out a generator to supply a occasionally used 'holiday home'. Apparently it's quite remote, and there have been some issues between the supply authority and the owner of the land they would need to access in order to provide / maintain a reliable supply.

Their solution is to provide their customer with a generator, supplied and installed by an electrician, as a permanent alternative to their supply.

Apparently it needs a '3kva single phase supply only'.

The job is 1.5 hours away from me, which I can work into the price for actually doing the job, but I'm trying to avoid visiting site for a look to see what's required, before actually turning up to do the install.

Also, I can't remember the last time I had to do anything with a generator, although I am a sparky and have been for - gulp - 30 years!

Any help / advice / pointers towards where to look would be much appreciated...

Thanks.

If you can't be bothered to go and look at the job, it begs the question why bother to accept it in the first place?

If you can't be bothered to go and look at the job, it begs the question why bother to accept it in the first place?

Are you you always so helpful? I didn't say I couldn't be bothered. I said I was trying to avoid it, due to the 3 hour round trip. If it's unavoidable then so be it.

Feel free to be unhelpful somewhere else.

Didn't mean anything by my reply Mate, just wondered why you didn't want to go for a looksee, it sounded to me anyway that you weren't that interested in doing the job. Sorry you felt the need to be offended no intention on my part I assure you, probably my bad mood having just got up.

Apology accepted - thanks!

The job is one I'd like to do, as it's gonna help out 'the Leccy board' that I used to work for, and directly, the people in the office I used to receive jobs from.

It it is further away than I usually travel, and out of my comfort zone being something I'm not used to, but it is a spark's job, so I'm confident I CAN sort it, I just want to sort it in an efficient way, time and money wise.

Installing a generator to a house supply without seeing the location could be problematic, I would tend to try and incorporate the cost of an initial survey into the price of the installation for the peace of mind you will get and also so that you will be prepared with all the required equipment without a return journey being required.

Wiring matters issue 39 2011 had some information on generating sets, you are effectively installing a permanent small scale generator with no reference to the public distribution network.

As the installation will be for general use you will need to consider a significantly stable earthing arrangement.

BS7671 section 551 covers low voltage generating sets.

You also need more info in order to spec the genny. Is this supposed to run all the time the premises are occupied? Daytime only? How will it be started and stopped? Maximum permissible noise level? Maintenance schedule? Service life? 3kVA but how many kW? Heaviest motor load?

There is a vast gulf between a cheap petrol portable that will last a season and a permanently installed diesel plant that will provide satisfactory long service for a paying customer.

Thanks for the replies folks. I am gonna have a look at the relevant guidance mentioned above, and almost surely speak to the customer - he's ringing me on monday - to explain the advantages of a site visit first, and the cost implications.

Hopefully they'll agree to this - if not I'll explain my reluctance to be involved - and I'll keep you informed!

Reply to Generator supply help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net