Discuss generator switch over in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tbs1983

I've got a customer who lives in a rural area and would like to install a back up generator in case of power failure, he would like me to install some form of switchgear to change from mains to generator as and when required. In principle the idea is straightforwards but wondering if anyone has done a similar scheme and how they went about it. my 2 main concerns are finding a way so that only 1 method can possibly be active at once (e.g. I dont want the generator running during a power cut and then power comes back on), and secondly how do I prevent the generator from backfeeding into the main grid. i suspect there may be some kind of changeover switch on the market, anyone come across one?

Thanks in advance

Change over switches here:
32A & 63A 3 Pole Change Over Switch

You need to think very carefully about earthing and fault protection when running on the generator. Also, the gen needs to provide a sufficiently smooth output for whatever loads are to be supplied. A good quality one with the output provided by a true sinewave inverter is probably the sort of thing you should be looking for.

I stand to be corrected here ,but don't forget that you are installing that change over switch in line with your incoming supply , so it will need to be sized to them and not just the generator supply .

Without some real information I’m not helping you kill innocent DNO workers.

Fairly straight forward? I don’t quite think so.

People supplying generators specifically for this purpose and will have the generator switch over panel for you panels look fairly simple ... As there a purpose built unit I would youse one every time

Reply to generator switch over in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net