Discuss Generator Voltage Failure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Customer of mine decided to go green and buy bio-diesel for their standby generators. Trouble is the stuff doesn’t keep and turns to some sort of sludge. They came to test run some of the sets and they all cut out after a few minutes. They then had to spend a fortune replacing filters and cleaning out injectors then having the tanks pumped out and cleaned prior to refilling with proper diesel!

Customer of mine decided to go green and buy bio-diesel for their standby generators. Trouble is the stuff doesn’t keep and turns to some sort of sludge. They came to test run some of the sets and they all cut out after a few minutes. They then had to spend a fortune replacing filters and cleaning out injectors then having the tanks pumped out and cleaned prior to refilling with proper diesel!

proper diesel aint what it used to be now its ultra low sulphur and can suffer the same enzyme sludge as the biofuels

There's a regulator on a heatsink which has worn out, new one is about £30 this powers the Pcb which has the exciter driver that does the output regulating when the load goes up, you'll see the module screwed onto the engine body where the heat from the engine knackers it.. You can get one online, they are rivited shut and disposable

Do the S/BY set have any kind of fault diagnoses charts you could look at? these thing are so well built and tested it could be something very simple, please leet us know the outcome.

There used to be a few people near me that made bio diesel for themselves and had bought all the machinery and chemicals to add into it, they got a visit from the customs and tax and that was the end of that, no more collecting chippy veg oil.
Now refineries are adding veg and ethanol in and your car diesel and petrol are duff, the fuel you buy can void your warranty as the chemistry doesn't match the manufacturers benchmark for fuel.

Reply to Generator Voltage Failure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net