Discuss generator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Im not sure on this either, floating earth springs to mind, unfortunately my mind is slowly losing its memory, anyone know the score??

regards

Simon.

Genorator that is a selv supply on an extra low voltage sysytem which is electrically seperated from earth and from other systems in such a way that a single fault cannot give rise to the risk of electric shock , or the protected extra low voltage system which is not electrically seperated from earth but satisfies all the other requirements of Selv , if that makes any sense

An earth rod is advisable but not essential. A geney will usually give you a TN-S supply, but if you cant drive a rod in to reference it to earth you'll need to create a TN-C-S system so the RCD will operate under fault. It's ok to have a separated supply for a single item of equipment, ie a power tool of some desription, but not more than one. Depending on wether or not a link is already in place between N&E, you will need to fit one You will definately need to make sure that any and all exposed steelwork is equipotentially bonded. You will need the RCD as the fault current will not be high enough for ADS via a fuse or MCB by itself.

Also if you are placing an N-E link in, then it's definately advisable to place a label warning of the link somewhere easy to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry should add, easiest way to check for floating earth is to measure voltage at gen output, if floating earth then you will see 120-0-120 at output. If not then simply 230 between L&N or E.

Also if you do need to modify the arrangement then best not to do it at the geney iself but in the plug of supply lead or at DB.

Last edited by a moderator:
An earth rod is advisable but not essential. A geney will usually give you a TN-S supply, but if you cant drive a rod in to reference it to earth you'll need to create a TN-C-S system so the RCD will operate under fault. It's ok to have a separated supply for a single item of equipment, ie a power tool of some desription, but not more than one. Depending on wether or not a link is already in place between N&E, you will need to fit one You will definately need to make sure that any and all exposed steelwork is equipotentially bonded. You will need the RCD as the fault current will not be high enough for ADS via a fuse or MCB by itself.

Also if you are placing an N-E link in, then it's definately advisable to place a label warning of the link somewhere easy to see.

i must be having a 'blonde' episode again:confused:
can you explain 'creating the tn-c-s supply' and the linking N-E in a bit more detail for me thanks

i'm usually a bit puzzled on these

Reply to generator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net