Discuss generator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Buzz-light-bulb

Hi all

This might sound crazy but I want to make my own generator in my garage and power my own property, fed up of these electricity bills, any ideas where to start. Magnets ?? Coils windings ???? Sure it won't take much to generate 230v at 50hz

If you want to build a generator start with a second-hand generator off eBay and recondition it. It will still cost more to run than buying your power from the network, and will create a lot more noise and pollution than necessary.

So you don't like paying for electricity but don't mind paying for fuel for the genny?
Have you got any idea how much everyone is going to hate you if you do this?
What happens at 2AM when the fuel runs out? All your burgers will be unfit to eat by the time you realise what's happened.
There's a place in our local hospital for people like you, it's called The Bede Wing. Google South Tyneside NHS Trust then follow the trail. They have very tight fitting pyjamas there :)

Good idea though

Only for someone that hasn't thought the idea through!!

You would in fact need 2 no's of generators, as you'll need to alternate them, you can't run a generator 24 hours a day week in week out, they will have a duty cycle and will also need regular maintenance. Couple that to running the generator at virtually no load for hours on end during the day and/or night, .....and you'll be seeing money flowing out of your wallet/bank account at an alarming rate of knots....

Not all the fruitloops are in Bay View.

The fuel bills will be crippling but just think of the kudos you will gain. Along with noise abatement orders, restraint orders and bankruptcy.

You’ve got to admire free enterprise though.

Disorder_zps25c551db.jpg

What most people do is put solar panels on their roof. It's customary to buy them 'off the shelf' though, instead of trying to make your own.
Alternatively you could reduce your energy consumption.

Buy a used Lister diesel genset and modify it to run on homemade bio-diesel. You can also plumb in a heat exchanger to supplement your central heating.

Please post up a photo of the completed item once you have finished winding coils and assembling the unit. I would be interested to see it. Daz

It’s not impossible.

If I could butcher a few bits and pieces out of old gear I’ve scrapped in the past I recon I could cobble together a 2 or 4 pole salient generator. The more poles the lower the speed and less chance of it self destructing.

Anyone any good with infernal combustion engines?

The world's tiniest V12 engine. [VIDEO]

Reply to generator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net