Discuss getting a cable through a conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

going to have a look this morning at that problem paul243 posted the other day. PIR lights won't turn off and a socket appears to be fed from 2 separate MCBs. . sounds like a cross connection between 2 socket finals. should be fun.
Let us know what the problem was Tel, please.

How's he going to keep the string wet then? go on answer that smart Alec:p you do realise Tel you and me are going to get into bother if we keep turning serious threads into a joke. To the OP the reason I asked about voltage was a serious question, as someone has mentioned that your install method may not comply with the Regulations (BS7671)

Never Pete, the OP's questions get answered & the joking about keeps things light hearted :thumbsup:

Anyway don't forget: It's educational for the younger generation entering the trade, you don't get this quality of banter on site nowadays. ;) Especially with a lot of the boys flying solo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, the Screwfix route sounds simple, the vac is pure genius! It's a 12v pump with a 240V feed, it will be recessed into the patio and the connection to the pump cable will be made in a chamber under a paving slab to one side of the pond. The conduit will start in a shed. Is it necessary to use SWA cable or T&E?

Thanks, the Screwfix route sounds simple, the vac is pure genius! It's a 12v pump with a 240V feed, it will be recessed into the patio and the connection to the pump cable will be made in a chamber under a paving slab to one side of the pond. The conduit will start in a shed. Is it necessary to use SWA cable or T&E?
Best you get an electrician to do the work, not knowing what type of cable to use is a worry

Best you get an electrician to do the work, not knowing what type of cable to use is a worry

I didn't say that I wasn't going to get a sparks to connect everything up, in fact some months ago we got one to instal a fuse box in the shed in readiness so the circuit is already there. We are concerning ourselves with laying a patio and want to lay a cable then call the sparks to save two call outs and also don't want the work held up. The question was just about the right type of cable to put through the duct, nothing more than that.

I didn't say that I wasn't going to get a sparks to connect everything up, in fact some months ago we got one to instal a fuse box in the shed in readiness so the circuit is already there. We are concerning ourselves with laying a patio and want to lay a cable then call the sparks to save two call outs and also don't want the work held up. The question was just about the right type of cable to put through the duct, nothing more than that.
That's the sort of question only a qualified Electrician could answer, after scoping the job out.

You should call the electrician before you lay the cable is the point. If I was to sign off an installation partly installed by a DIYer, I would want to be involved from the off to be able to advise and assist in the installation methods and materials. We're not just here to connect things up. There is much more to a compliant and safe installation than the end part of a job.
It may save having to take your patio back up to do it properly.

You should call the electrician before you lay the cable is the point. If I was to sign off an installation partly installed by a DIYer, I would want to be involved from the off to be able to advise and assist in the installation methods and materials. We're not just here to connect things up. There is much more to a compliant and safe installation than the end part of a job.
It may save having to take your patio back up to do it properly.

Its all sorted now we put SWA cable through the duct leaving the ends to be connected later. As I said a sparks already put a board into the shed it's fully signed off and with an RCD, a double exterior switched socket and double interior switched socket. I'm not saying we will do this, but it seems that the pump circuit could be plugged in to one of those sockets. This would surely still be compliant as isn't this how pond fountains and pumps are usually powered/connected?

Its all sorted now we put SWA cable through the duct leaving the ends to be connected later. As I said a sparks already put a board into the shed it's fully signed off and with an RCD, a double exterior switched socket and double interior switched socket. I'm not saying we will do this, but it seems that the pump circuit could be plugged in to one of those sockets. This would surely still be compliant as isn't this how pond fountains and pumps are usually powered/connected?

Sorry but how can it be fully signed off ? You just said the ends of the armoured were being connected later, so how did he carry out the required Live tests to be able to certify the work ?.

Sorry but how can it be fully signed off ? You just said the ends of the armoured were being connected later, so how did he carry out the required Live tests to be able to certify the work ?.
The supply to the shed was signed off, he left us with two double sockets. Are you saying that anything that is plugged into those socket needs to be signed off? Fine if so, I just want to be clear.

Reply to getting a cable through a conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net