Discuss Getting business on google search? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nicebloke

I have a website which isn't anything fancy but for a sole trader is hopefully fine. I know everyone wants to be at the top of the page on a google serach, but I am not even at the bottom!

I have a free yell.com listing, but even when I search for an electrician in my area via google and get into yell.com that way there are dozens of box adverts full of electricians that cover my area (most aren't in my area just cover it).

So for instance if someone were to search google and put in 'Croydon electrician,' what would I realistically have to do to even be seen without spending a fortune (if that's at all possible)?

You need a real website, you can easily build one yourself using the likes of e107 content systems.

They have search engine optimisation add Ons, meta tags you set yourself etc, that'll be the best way to get to the top spot on Google, or at least the first page.

How long have you had your website? how often do you make changes? Do you have lists of the areas you cover in your site?

TBH - I find the majority of internet enquiries a PITA

Have you got a google account for your business ? You can get your business pinned to google maps and linked to a google+ page for your business. Reviews can be collected on your google maps listing too.

On your website, do the words 'Croydon' and 'electrician' appear near each other on your home page? It may sound trite, but putting the 'right' words on your home page is key to getting to the top of the Google listings. My website usually appears near the top for a similar search in my area, and I haven't done anything special to stay there; maybe just paid a little more attention to my site than the other local electricians have to theirs.

Do you fancy putting up a link to your site for (constructive) criticism?

On your website, do the words 'Croydon' and 'electrician' appear near each other on your home page? It may sound trite, but putting the 'right' words on your home page is key to getting to the top of the Google listings. My website usually appears near the top for a similar search in my area, and I haven't done anything special to stay there; maybe just paid a little more attention to my site than the other local electricians have to theirs.

Do you fancy putting up a link to your site for (constructive) criticism?

I wouldn't put my site on here, but I appreciate your intention is well meaning (shame not everyones will be the same). I have shown my website to lots of people and almost begged them to criticise it, so I have made some changes to it as a result. The person doing the website wanted to make it more fancy but I felt it made it look to coporate, and I wanted it to look good, but not like I was the Virgin enterprise (I am just a sole trader).

I have signed up to google and awaiting their postcard to confirm things so thanks for that.

Thanks for the info and links, although I admit that some of them went a bit over my head.

The person doing the website wanted to make it more fancy but I felt it made it look to coporate, and I wanted it to look good, but not like I was the Virgin enterprise (I am just a sole trader)

I agree with you there. Too many website designers want to make 'big company' websites for sole traders. Once you start reading between the lines, it's obvious that the tradesman is trying to pretend to be something he isn't. I think that most customers appreciate an honest description of the business and like to know who will actually be doing the job.

Reply to Getting business on google search? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock