Discuss Getting Called Back To Do "Snagging" in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ED17

-
Arms
Reaction score
I was thinking about some of the "snagging" I've been called back to over the past year.

I've had the common "socket for appliance not working" which turns out to mean switched fused spur above worktop turned off. Been back to fix "faulty light switches" and had to explain to tenants that it's not upside down, it's a two way switch.

Got called back to a "faulty fire alarm system" because the non maintained emergency bulkheads didn't light up when they tested the fire alarm!

One rather irate customer called us back because the photocell controlled external lights that he'd specified, didn't light up in the daytime when people walked past them!

I was thinking about some of the "snagging" I've been called back to over the past year.

I've had the common "socket for appliance not working" which turns out to mean switched fused spur above worktop turned off. Been back to fix "faulty light switches" and had to explain to tenants that it's not upside down, it's a two way switch.

Got called back to a "faulty fire alarm system" because the non maintained emergency bulkheads didn't light up when they tested the fire alarm!

One rather irate customer called us back because the photocell controlled external lights that he'd specified, didn't light up in the daytime when people walked past them!
Worked on a MOD site many moons ago, did some alterations in some offices, one of which belonged to a high ranking Naval officer, phoned me up personally, gave me all this carp end story was the lights in his area had gone off, went round light switch turned off, seems Cpt Pugwash let his lights on day and night.

haha what was he expecting. Whats the point in a light turning on during the day.... unless it's a huge wattage light that will give passers by a sun tan as they pass....

Had the '2w switch upside down' on several occasions. There was one chap who just could not understand that one switch was always likely to be the wrong way up despite repeated practical demonstrations. Both he and I gave up in the end, but I'm convinced he thought he was being conned.

Had the '2w switch upside down' on several occasions. There was one chap who just could not understand that one switch was always likely to be the wrong way up despite repeated practical demonstrations. Both he and I gave up in the end, but I'm convinced he thought he was being conned.
Had this same problem a few months ago, i wouldn't mind but i hadent even worked on the lighting circuit with the two way on, turns out they only ever used one of the switches and i had used the other one all of a sudden they think the switch is upside down. Even after I explained it the still looked bewildered. Im glad im not the only one!

Nothing to do with electrics but when I was a mobile IT engineer I got called out to a place near the Houses of Parliament to a woman you run a consultancy dealing with MP's and the like as her printer wasn't working, walked up 3 flights of narrow stairs and she just pointed at the machine and said it wasn't working, the look on her face when I told her it was a photo copier was priceless. Filled out the paperwork and went to lunch, hopefully she was charged for the call out.

did a job many years ago rewired to full house .customer rings up saying the switches not working .all the walls had been replastered
the switches full of PVA it was like super glue .told the customer
I'm not going to change them . she said my boy friend he did the plastering .answer he f88ked it up he can change them .she said what about the sockets .them too.

On the motorway and carrying the rubbish from the days efforts
The old knackered battery smoke alarm decides to perform probably for the only time in its life
Had to get off at the next far away exit to smash the crap out of it
I had no idea they could do that too - whatever next.

His logic seemed to be that if they didn't work in the daytime, how did he know that they worked at night!
Ha ha ha - he's one of those folks that spends hours by the fridge door too o_O

Had the '2w switch upside down' on several occasions.
We had one woman that was so disturbed by the way 2 way switches worked we had to alter wiring in her house so the 2way and 3way lights operated with retractive switches controlling latching relays!

Getting called back for a bit of live copper wire sticking out of a socket.

Turned out to be a cat hair.

I was less than impressed.
obviously the cat had had it's whiskers dyed "autumn gold". looks just like copper.

Changed a shaver socket in a newbuild I done as the customer paid to upgrade everything from white plastic. This was after they had been living there for a few weeks. The customer was the type that stood there looking over your shoulder. I dropped the 3.5mm screws out the packet which landed on the toilet seat...Get a phone call about 30 mins later from the lady that works in my office, saying the customer had phoned complaining I had marked the toilet seat when I dropped the screws out the pack. I went back there to take a look...customer answers the door saying we are not happy etc and shows me the mark on the toilet seat. I looked at it and noticed it was a bit of dried on sh!t :eek:. I turned around and said it's Sh!t mate...Tell your old women to give it a clean...I phoned the office before I left to make them feel embarrassed saying take that complaint of the system it turns out the customer hasn't cleaned their toilet and it's a lump of sh!t. The customers were really embarrassed and couldn't wait to get me out the door...They paid their bill pretty sharpish though :D

Changed a shaver socket in a newbuild I done as the customer paid to upgrade everything from white plastic. This was after they had been living there for a few weeks. The customer was the type that stood there looking over your shoulder. I dropped the 3.5mm screws out the packet which landed on the toilet seat...Get a phone call about 30 mins later from the lady that works in my office, saying the customer had phoned complaining I had marked the toilet seat when I dropped the screws out the pack. I went back there to take a look...customer answers the door saying we are not happy etc and shows me the mark on the toilet seat. I looked at it and noticed it was a bit of dried on sh!t :eek:. I turned around and said it's Sh!t mate...Tell your old women to give it a clean...I phoned the office before I left to make them feel embarrassed saying take that complaint of the system it turns out the customer hasn't cleaned their toilet and it's a lump of sh!t. The customers were really embarrassed and couldn't wait to get me out the door...They paid their bill pretty sharpish though :D

Did you sniff it or lick it to verify what it was??......

Reply to Getting Called Back To Do "Snagging" in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock