Discuss getting down(or up) inside a stud wall.....long flexible drills? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brman

I am trying to find a better way of getting cables down inside an existing stud wall. At the moment I am cutting an access hole below each noggin to allow me to drill and feed the conduit/cable up but would rather not have the hassle of making good.

I have seen these extra long flexible drills (or rigid extension rods), do they work?
Am I likely to be able to get down an insulated stud wall without getting the insulation all wrapped around the drill and how do you ensure they stay on track and keep in the correct zone?

If they are worth it, any suggestions on where to get one from? (googling hasn't been particularly helpful....)

I'm sure I saw one at elex this year, had a tennis ball shape to allow to centre in the void. Sure it was at elex either that or it was a particularly sad dream.

Yes, I saw something at elex, could have been that one.

as you say, insulation wraps init..... and sometimes not enough room to even get right anglr to drill

Sounds like it could be more hassle than it is worth then.

So should I carry on as I am or any other bright ideas to minimise holes in the wall?

I once attempted to drill down using a bit extender that my dad made in his garage. Didn't work out too well for me, ended up taking longer than just making access holes in the wall.

If the insulation is batt it's easy enough to break up with a length of conduit , kingspan is a different matter though. I just do the same as you and cut the board below the noggin.

2 x 64mm holes then inser back in AND SCRAPE POLLYFILLER OF THEM, MORE THAN LESS, THEN RUB IN, BUT ANOTHER JOB THAT IS A ? FOR ELECTRICIAN.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have looked into these a while ago. they are available in america, they sell a handle that you can steer the bit with, but insulation will be a problem so will 72" of clearance in the loft to get the bit started or fed into a hole.

2 x 64mm holes then inser back in AND SCRAPE POLLYFILLER OF THEM, MORE THAN LESS, THEN RUB IN, BUT ANOTHER JOB THAT IS A ? FOR ELECTRICIAN.

Why two holes? Do you mean one each side of the noggin or one above the other to get an elongated access hole?
I tend to use my multitool, if I make the cuts angled inwards you can then just stick the bit back in with grip fill. takes longer than a hole saw though.

I have looked into these a while ago. they are available in america, they sell a handle that you can steer the bit with, but insulation will be a problem so will 72" of clearance in the loft to get the bit started or fed into a hole.
yes, I have found videos of them using them in the states but they appear to run them up the side of a stud which looks like a good way of getting them way out of zone unless all your sockets are right next to a stud.

let plasterer do patching up - thats what they trained for
I'd love to but I have yet to find a reliable plasterer who will come round and just patch (properly) a couple of holes so I tend to do them myself or persuade the customer he wanted to redecorate anyway ;)

Cut a piece out of PB at the noggin, cut slot in noggin, run cable, fill hole with filler, smooth off.
That sounds easier than cutting a hole big enough to get in to drill through! Might try that on a job I have tomorrow......

Thanks Guys for all your suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally just locate the stud, 75mm holesaw with arbour dead centre of stud, notch out stud with chisel, cables in then plug back in and screw it into stud, bit of filler, bish,bash, bosh!

I normally just locate the stud, 75mm holesaw with arbour dead centre of stud, notch out stud with chisel, cables in then plug back in and screw it into stud, bit of filler, bish,bash, bosh!

Another idea that sounds better than cutting a hole below it. I'll just have to remember not to put the screws though the cable.... :lol:

Been using the 6 foot 3/4 inch flexi drill for years. Insulation in the walls can be a bit of a problem I usually drill 2 32mm holes in the top of the wall and use a piece oval conduit through one to push the insulation back then send the drill down the other

Can be a problem taking lumps out of walls that have just been decorated customers always tend to work the wrong way

I'm a craftsman mate, don't use nails! :)
allrite then clever dick.....

No_More_Nails_by_Sethial.png

Reply to getting down(or up) inside a stud wall.....long flexible drills? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net