Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Getting Electricity in Garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Ali Kielany

Ali Kielany New EF Member

Hi there

I am new to this forum, so apologies for my simplicity!

I live in a flat and would like to have electricity in my garage. The garage isnt directly adjacent to my flat (its a couple flats along).

Inside the garage there is some wiring, lights, mains plugs etc, but they havent worked since I moved in.

Is there any reason for why they are not working? And does this mean the foundations for electricity in the garage are there? What would i need to do?

Thanks!

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Your best bet would be to ask an Electrician to check it could be a simple fix.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

Are you renting the flat or do you own it?
    Does your CU have a breaker labelled 'garage'?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ali Kielany

Ali Kielany New EF Member

Thanks for your response.

I own it, so Im guessing I can have electricity if I wanted to.

It doesnt say garage, but there are two of the switches where no ones written anything. If electricity for the garage wasnt coming from the CU, could it have been coming from elsewhere?

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

The main issue with flats and garages in blocks, is if and how you can run cables ...... the free holder will need to give concent in the majority of cases ....

Best you get the existing set up checked and tested .... shouldn’t take long, nor cost much ...

6. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

It's hard to tell where the existing wire to your garage is wired from over a forum. As @Pete999@Pete999 & @Murdoch@Murdoch have suggested, get an electrician in to test the circuit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

I rented a house in Southampton and the detached garage had power to it, only worked when the street lights were on though...

• Funny Funny x 3