Discuss Getting More Industrial/Commercial Work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyparky

Hello All,

Ive been self employed for about 2 years now with just over 15 years experience in the game and have a full time apprentice.

I've got plenty of domestic work on through word of mouth, little local magazines etc and although I do have a couple of industrial/commercial regulars I would love to get more not just for the improved margins but because its what I've always done and enjoy.

In an ideal world I'd like to have a 50% split between domestic and commercial/industrial for cash-flow purposes if nothing else and I know I'm very lucky to be busy at all but does anyone more seasoned out there have any hints or tips on what the best way to generate more business from this area might be?

I'm the same, I get most of my work through industrial/commercial, could do with more domestic, I don't advertise though so probably need to sort that out!

When you say industrial, what sort of work are you talking about? It’s a vast field and getting desperately short of skilled craftsmen.

If your doing servicing and call outs could be worthwhile, or are you trying to expand your business?

I had the same dilemma and made a big push for larger commercial contracts, employed 3 other sparks and a mate

all the extra red tape, employers responsibilities, and hassle was a nightmare, don't get me wrong I love the work but it's everything else that's ruins it when your the one in charge and having to employ people seriously cuts down the amount of time you get on the tools, and ups the time you spend doing non productive paperwork

now I'm back to local small commercial and domestic works, on my own

Close to zero stress, fast payments, no wage bill, no sleepless nights, couldnt be happier :)

and i I earn about the same money

might work for some, didn't work for me

lifes too short!

Alot of big firms will be VAT registered and would not employ longterm the services of a non VAT registered tradesman unless their services were unique, they need your VAT reg' to claim back their VAT on your services... I started on my own and its the first thing to do and in doing so you can no longer compete with the domestic realm as you have to charge extra 20% on your labour that your non registered competitor doesn't. If your a one man band or micro firm then decide which way you want to go, you can't have the best of both worlds and be attractive to both customer bases, although it can work on a smaller scale with little jobs that are material light.

I was terrified that when I registered for vat it would ruin me on the domestic front, it never happened though, I think as long as you have a solid customer base and get good recommendation work, it's actually a good thing and I wish I'd done it a lot sooner!!

Hi guys thanks for all your input so far.
In terms of the industrial work like I'm sure most sparks I'd be happy looking at anything other than the machines themselves but I've generally found places have their own maintenance dept's for that sort of thing and farm out the install work and breakdowns on the fixed wiring to contractors but I'm sure I'll be proven wrong at some point!

The two industrial customers I do have just came out of the blue and one or the other is always on the phone after something looking at which I don't mind as the work can prove quite lucrative and I find easy when compared to messing around in peoples houses and would just like a few more if I'm not being greedy!

Thanks for the advice on the VAT I'm not registered at the moment but had always been concerned that I would price myself out of the domestic market by doing so!

Thanks for the advice on the VAT I'm not registered at the moment but had always been concerned that I would price myself out of the domestic market by doing so!

unless you are getting a majority of your work from sites like rated people etc which are just a reverse auction then it won't be a problem

I would reckon the larger percentage of people will rather employ someone they trust to do a good job and turn up when they say, rather than someone who's a few quid cheaper

the ones who are solely focused on price are not the sort you want for customers anyway, let someone else sweat for tuppence

Reply to Getting More Industrial/Commercial Work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net